2

𝗟𝗲𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝗲'𝘀 𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗶𝗼𝗻

Go easy on me, baby
I was still a child
Didn't get the chance to
Feel the world around me.

Go easy on me, babyI was still a childDidn't get the chance toFeel the world around me

Munich, 2022

           The interrogation room looked like exatcly the one Leonore saw on television. A cramped, cold, dimly lit room, but at least the walls weren't falling apart, and the chairs were in good condition too. But, contrarily to most people in her situation, Leonore was not nervous, or anxious. Yes, it was not a something on her to do list, and the fact that she had zero memories from that night was not much of a help either, but she thought that it was not the worse.

She was sure she was innocent, and had nothing to hide. It will be alright, she kept repeating in her head. She just had to repeat what she already told the first time. Nothing more, nothing less.

The door opened, showing detective Achleitner stepping in, two cups in his hands, probably coffee, and a file under his left arm. Without saying hi or whatever, the man took the seat just in front of Leonore, who was carefully watching every move of him, and handed her one of the two cups. "We ran out of sugar, hope you like a bitter coffee."

"I guess it will do." Leonore let out a bitter laugh. "Thank you, I guess."

Under the whitish lights, and so close, Leonore was able to spot few wrinkles on the man's face. He definitely looked older seen that close, or maybe it was just because of the shitty lighting.

"From your files I red that you want to become a criminologist." Fritz Achleitner stated, leafing through the pages of the file on the table. "You're also having an university degree about it, aren't you?"

"Yes. That's my faculty." The blonde haired girl nodded, playing with the rim of the cup. Other than being bitter, that coffee was also cold. A real crap.

"Interesting." The detective murmured, looking slightly impressed by the girl. He took a sip of the coffee and couldn't hide a disgusted face, placing the cup immediately on the garbage can. After that, the man cleared his throat, his deep blue eyes stuck on the girl in front of him. "So I take that you know that this interrogation is being recorded."

"I do know." Leonore nodded again. She had been watching crime documentaries since she was five, she pretty much knew everything about situations like this.

"Perfect." Fritz nodded, crossing his arms to his chest and laying down his chair, looking like more comfortable now. "So, Leonore Kühnhackl, tell me what was your relationship to the victim."

The victim.

That was such a hard sentence to listen. Just imaging that the victim was once alive, that was someone very close to you... that is was Coraline.