Chapter 41

*the song should be played when Diana hears her name called when she's at her car with the parking ticket

August 2008
Diana

"You don't understand, I need you to do this, or else everything is going to go to shit." At this point I don't even care if it's called begging, because that's exactly what I'm doing right now. I'm begging.

"You know," my best friend. Yep, that's right I'm begging my best friend Cornelia right now, and she's being the stubborn woman she has always been. Some things never change. "When I said I would work for you, I mean behind the scenes, not on the run-way."

"It's just this one time. Gloria can't make it, and I need someone to fill in," I give her my best puppy dog eyes. "Please."

"I'm pretty sure since you work for me, that means you can't say no," I add.

Cornelia scoffs, "How dare you use your position of power over me." I know she's saying that all in good fun. But she mulls it over in her head for a moment before sighing, "Fine, but-" she points a finger before I can get too excited, "Just this once. Got it?"

I nod, "Got it," and I reach over the cafe table to hug her. "You're the best Neils."

"I know," she shrugs nonchalantly. "So what am I wearing?"

I have a show at the end of this month. My clothing line Sensual Politics is having it's annual end of summer run way show. And one of my best models canceled, and I needed someone to fill in for her. My only thought was Cornelia would do it since she works kind of alongside me in the company.

I didn't think having to convince her was going to be like pulling teeth.

My phone buzzes on the table before I can answer Cornelia. I outwardly sigh because I don't even have to look at the screen to know who it is texting me. The same person who has been texting me on and off all day.

"Does he ever leave you alone?" Cornelia asks as I turn my phone over on the table, the screen facing down so I don't have to look at it. I know for fact Cornelia is not every fond of him. She made that very clear a few years ago. I just think it's her protective nature when it comes to me. I don't think she wanted to see me get hurt again. But it's been about almost four years with him, and I'm perfectly fine.

I shake my head. "He just gets worried sometimes," I reply.

"You mean all the time."

It's not really my fault that he worries all the time now. Ever since my accident a couple years ago, I think a lot of people in my life have started to worry about me more. I don't there has been one week where Ivy hasn't called me almost every single day just to check up on me.

My phone buzzes again. I pick it up and open the text message he just sent me. I quickly type my reply while Cornelia speaks.

"Just text him and say your busy telling your best friend what she's going to be wearing while she makes a complete fool of herself on stage in front of a bunch of models."

I chuckle, setting my phone down. "You are going to look amazing up there. I mean," I put a hand on my chest and say, "You are going to be wearing my clothing. There's no way you won't look good."

"I'm sorry what did you say, I couldn't hear you over how loud your ego is," Cornelia teases, and we both erupt into a fit of giggles.

My phone buzzes once again. Both mine and Cornelia's laughter dying out.

"You should probably go home," Cornelia says, "Don't want him to pop a blood vessel."

"But-" I start to say but Cornelia begins to get up from her chair. Both of our drinks have been empty for a while now. The rest of our little cafe date was meant for me to beg her to join the show at the end of the month, and then catch up with her, because even if we do work together, we hardly get to talk about what is going on in our personal life.