Chapter 29

Harry

"You have a Lite Brite?" Diana asks.

She's been snooping around the rest of the basement since we woke up a few minutes ago, while I watch her from my bed, propped up against the headboard with a lazy smile. When we got back from the hockey game, all I wanted to do was lay down and fall asleep with her in my arms. Which was exactly what we did.

I lended Diana a sweatshirt and a pair of sweatpants to wear to bed, so she wouldn't have to fall asleep in jeans. She had to roll the top of them a few times to keep them from falling down her small hips. The sight of her in my clothes almost made me throw out the plans for sleeping and instead trade them for a much more fun activities.

"You play with this?" She picks up the box that contains the Lite Brite, that most definitely belongs to my sister. She got it for Christmas a few years ago.

"It's my sister's," I reply, as I watch her look for an outlet to plug the thing into. Her long hair wild in the morning and the sweatshirt swallowing her body up. Her tongue sticking out a little bit as her eyes scan my room before they widen.

"Aha." She walks the few steps to the open outlet she found, plopping down to her knees first before falling to her stomach and taking the Lite Brite out and plugging it into the wall. "Harry, come down and play with your Lite Brite with me."

I roll my eyes, "It's my sister's," I say again as I slide off the bed and crawl over to join her on the other side of the room, bringing a blanket wrapped around my bare shoulders with me.

"Sure," she chuckles, taking out the array of colorful pegs to placed onto the Lite Brite. "What should we make?" she wonders out loud, thinking of what she wanted to make. I just watch her.

She has this childlike look on her face and for once it looks like everything that had happened to her was the last thing on her mind. She looks free of the shackles her mother put upon her. She looks like a regular teenager who was playing with a Lite Brite in her boyfriend's room. Her nose was scrunching up as she smiles down at the Lite Brite.

She looks happy.

I don't know how long I was watching her for, but when she finally turned to me with the Lite Brite on and facing me, I could see what she put on it.

D+H lit up in pink and yellow lights.

Her face flushed red as she took in her bottom lip in between her teeth while hiding a smile.

She is effortlessly beautiful. Even at eight-thirty in the morning, with no make up, wild hair and sleepy eyes. She is beautiful, and I am falling.

Nothing could stop me from leaning forward and connecting my lips with her in a soft kiss, catching her off guard and causing a small squeal of surprise to escape her pretty little lips.

It's not one of those kisses that are going to lead anywhere. Not one of those kisses filled with lust and tension. It's just one of those kisses you expect nothing from. A sweet, simple kiss. Like a sneak attack kiss. One that is meant to convey what you're feeling deep inside. That heart thumping, pulse racing, sweaty palm feeling.

When we part, I watch Diana blushes again as she brings her fingers up to graze her lips, smiling to herself again. "What was that for?" she asks shyly.

"What?" I say back, "I can't just kiss my girlfriend cause I want to?"

Hearing myself say that out loud, I don't think it's something I'm going to get used to. I never thought I would want to have a girlfriend. Hell, I even swore off girlfriends in the beginning of the school year. I thought I was only ever going to be meant to be the kind of person who has flings or fuck buddies. I didn't think I would be good at being a boyfriend.