Chapter 25. Desperation

Tara

I had been sitting on information about Desiree Huxley for the last couple of weeks. I had managed to get Margaret to give me an inside look at some of her health documents. This was more than likely illegal to do, but I just needed to see something or find something rather on Desiree. She had become a consistent problem in my life ever since she came back to Charming, and I was desperate to keep my family together. Jax still saw her as an angel who could do no wrong, so expressing my feelings about his infatuation with her was useless.

Even now, in the middle of the night, he had escaped going to save his 'precious' Desiree. One of my coworkers texted me to let me know all about my husband's rescue mission. Apparently, the long-lost princess had run into some male troubles at her job that turned violent. In any other circumstance, I would have sympathized with any woman who was being antagonized and stalked. Because I had been a victim of that by Cohen but considering that Jax was trying to be Superman for another woman...well, let's just say my support was weak.

I rummaged through the details of some of the information that I managed to write down. Most of it was absolutely useless and would only draw Jax closer to her. The only questionable piece of information was the mystery of Desiree's mother. Viviane Turner, previously Viviane Huxley until she remarried when Desiree was around sixteen years old.

I was surprised to read that she only lived a few miles outside of Charming. She hadn't bothered to show her face in Charming ever since her daughter reappeared and that raised some questions for me. It made me wonder about how bad the fallout was between her and Desiree to make her not want to at least see her now. I had managed to find her number in the phone book and contemplated calling her. But I struggled with what to say and was curious as to how she'd react.

"Hello?" I heard the front door close gently and Jax's heavy footsteps. I quickly put away the papers in front of me and tried to act natural. Jax walked into the kitchen and went straight to the fresh coffee that had been brewing. It was still dark outside but ever since he left in a hurry, I hadn't been able to go back to sleep.

"Where you been?" I said quietly. I knew where he had been but I needed him to tell me that. Jax looked at me with tired eyes, "some guy hurt Desiree tonight, had to make sure she was okay." I nodded my head and decided not to ask him anything further. Jax had a tendency to become combative when I spoke against Desiree, and I didn't feel like arguing before the sun came up.

There was a heavy silence for some time until Jax spoke up again, "she needs us right now, she needs her family." I looked over at him and squinted my eyes before letting out a small chuckle. "Then call them next time," Jax cut his eyes at me and let out a sigh. I was expecting him to say something further or correct me with a classic line about anyone in the club being a family. But it appears that he was too tired to tango with my attitude right now.

Suddenly, his pocket began to vibrate and he put his mug down. Reaching into it he brought his phone up to his ear. I watched as his face went through every phase of worry and anger there was all the while saying a list of profanities. My curiosity grew when he barked out orders for everyone to go to the clubhouse and slapped his phone shut. He looked at me with a bewildered expression, "go pack, we have to go to the clubhouse! Now!"

"Wait, what's going on?"

"There was a hit on Wendy's house tonight, they think it was Pope sending a message from the inside."

"Jesus," I said under my breath.

"We have to go Tara, now! Go pack some of the boys' things and drive to the clubhouse. I'll have one of the prospects drive behind you to make sure you guys are safe," he said all this while rushing to put his cut and jacket back on. I wanted to question him further but he had already run out the door before I could get another word in.

My mind raced with what to do first, simply out of panic. But then I realized that Pope wouldn't have gone after Wendy if it hadn't been for Desiree. Her trade for freedom for the guys had essentially put her life in danger. And because of my husband's need to protect her, it had also put my family in danger. There was a part of me that selfishly thought of letting Desiree fend for herself because this Pope character was obviously a powerful man who was capable of harm even behind bars. I didn't need that kind of heat to come back on my family, Jax and I had two sons to take care of! He should be focused on our escape plan as he promised me over and over again.

I looked back down at the paper that consisted of Viviane Huxley's phone number. If this went smoothly, Viviane could take Desiree away from all of this and I can rid her from our lives. It was a win, win situation all around. Desiree would be safe and so would the club, and my plans to leave Charming would be back on track.

I tried to steady my breathing while the phone rang, but it was so early in the morning that I didn't think she'd pick up. But to my surprise, I heard a perky voice on the other end of the line. "Hello," she said on the other end.

"Hello, Mrs. Turner?"

"This is she. Whom may I ask is speaking?"

"This is Tara Knowles; I am a surgeon at ST. Thomas. I am calling in regards to your daughter Desiree Huxley."

Viviane sucked her teeth, "don't tell me she needs a kidney because I'm afraid that you have wasted your time contacting me."

Her response was icy and made me take a step back. "No, I didn't know if you were aware that your daughter had recently reappeared from her kidnapping."

"Oh, I know all about her welcome home committee. I told her getting in bed with those awful people would only cost her, her life, but did she listen? No, and then she had the nerve to run into their arms again after they left her for dead."

"If you don't mind me asking, why didn't you come to collect Desiree after her reappearance?"

"Ms. Knowles, my daughter is just like her father. She will hold every silly little grudge known to man; even against the people that she needs the most. I could never win with that girl." There was a pause on her end before Viviane spoke up again, "Now, why are you calling me? Is she desperate? Her white thug can't pay for her hospital bills?"

I was astonished at how hateful Viviane sounded and was at a loss for words. "Um, no, I'm more of a friend to her right now. I was just wondering if there was any possible way for you and your daughter to mend your relationship. She helped out my husband and now her safety is in question, and I know how much she needs her family right now."

"She said that to you?"

"No, she's more of the suffer in silene type."

"Yup, sounds like my daughter. Where is she?"

"She'll be at Teller-Morrows later today if you'd like to come to see her."

Viviane scoffed, "still sitting with those bottom feeders I see." She said something incoherent to someone else, "okay, I'll come and see her since you went through all this trouble."

"Y-yeah, that'll be great. I'm sure this will be a posit-" The line cut off as Viviane hung up on me. My mouth hung open as I stared at the phone in disbelief. That woman was a piece of work, probably would put Gemma to shame.  Nevertheless, this interaction needed to happen, I just hoped things would finally go in my favor.