Chapter 18. Intervening

Gemma

It has been a week since I've seen Desiree. She hasn't shown up around the clubhouse, hasn't stopped by the house, and hasn't had contact with anyone affiliated with SAMCRO. I wish I could say that I understood why she was staying away but seeing my only son moping around my house for a week made me bleed for the both of them. I knew he felt responsible for what happened between Tara and Desiree, and from what I heard from the guys, it had caused him to completely shut them out. He was so much like his father in that way, and that's what worried me the most.

Despite Nero's protest, I decided that I would visit my former daughter-in-law and make an end to this nonsense. I packed up some leftovers to take with me and I made my way to Wendy's apartment. When I got there, Desiree's car was parked in Wendy's driveway but Wendy's was nowhere in sight. I seized the opportunity to talk to Desiree alone and proceeded to knock on the door.

Desiree opened the door hesitantly and I could see the regret on her face when she realized it was me. "Well, is that any way to greet someone?" Desiree let out a heavy sigh as she moved out the way to let me in. When I walked into the apartment I noticed a pile of blankets on Wendy's small couch. Desiree's duffle bags were stacked neatly in the corner of the room, while the TV played a rerun of a Spanish soap.

"I don't know why you liked watching those so much, you can't even understand what they're saying." Desiree smiled at my comment, "I read the subtitles."

I made a face at her as I studied the bruises on her body. The one on her cheek had turned a spotty yellow and so had the ones on her arms. The scratches on her chest had healed and her hair had grown out a little. "What you doing here Gem?"

"Can't I just stop by without being accused of something?"

Desiree gave me a look and crossed her arms over her chest. I finally bit the bullet and explained why I came, "you need to come back home."

"You know I can't do that."

"Why not?! Jax already told you that it wasn't your fault. Now, he's been moping around for a week and I don't think I can stand it for much longer."

Desiree shook her head, "his feelings will pass once he realizes that this is for the best."

"The best for who? Honey, when are you going to stop thinking that we don't want you?"

"But that's just it! I know how much everyone loves and wants me around. I see the sacrifices you guys have made for me, the readjusting, the accommodating, and putting pauses on things that you shouldn't. I don't want to do that to you guys, I love you all too much to put you through that."

I placed the things I was holding down on the table and walked up to Desiree. I put my hands on her shoulder and leaned down so that we were at eye level. "Desiree, you are not some croweater on the street or some stranger that no one knows. You are family until you are old and grey. No one minds when you need a ride, or staying up with you when you're having nightmares. We love you too much to let you walk away, no matter how much you think your absence will help us."

"But Jax-" her eyes began to water and bottom lip began to tremble, "he had a family. A wife, two boys, and I feel like if I wasn't here, he would still have that."

"Desiree, listen to me, no matter what happens between Jax and Tara, he will always have a family. Jax loves his boys and will make sure that no matter what, he will make sure to get along with Tara. But getting along with her doesn't have to include a relationship. Things between them have been brewing for a while now, Tara has never accepted this life and I doubt she ever will. But you shouldn't let what they decide to affect you, they are old enough to decide on their own happiness."

Desiree pondered what I said for a minute before she finally agreed to come to the clubhouse with me. I hadn't even noticed the job ad in the newspaper until she went to the bathroom to change. I wondered if she had gotten let go, but I decided not to ask since the situation was already so delicate.

When she emerged from the bathroom, she noticed me staring at the newspaper. Even though I didn't ask, she explained herself, "I had to leave the daycare, I wanted to take some time off so that I could heal, but considering that I was new, I didn't have any PTO so I had to quit." She said the last part quietly and proceeded to grab her purse off the hook. I followed her to my car so that I could drive us to the clubhouse.

The ride was silent except for the sound of the radio playing. Desiree had rolled down the window and propped her head out the window. When we arrived at the clubhouse, the guys were sitting outside. Jax was talking with Tara as she handed him a diaper bag and a backpack for Abel. It appeared that it was his week with the boys and as thrilled as I was, I couldn't help but notice Desiree grow uncomfortable at the sight of Tara.

Everyone watched as I parked the car and got out with Desiree. Tara was also healing nicely from her injuries and didn't bother to hide her obvious staring at Desiree. Jax watched the interaction between the two women and I could see the strain on his face.

"You guys want to go to the playground?" I asked Abel who jumped with excitement. I reached for Thomas from Tara and she handed him over to me. Desiree walked into the clubhouse while Jax followed closely behind her, I hoped that they could work this thing out and stop this whole charade.