Chapter 22. Sprained

Desiree

I was folding napkins in the back for dinner when Sarah walked into the breakroom. She acted like she wasn't looking for me but I could see her shooting glances at my wrist. My wrist was still sporting the red imprints of Michael's hand and a part of me wanted Sarah to feel remorseful. She had been selling me out to whoever shoved a bit of green in her face, and that put my safety at risk. Now, we had to have a mandatory staff meeting and talk about basic common sense.

Frank walked in last after everyone was sitting down. He looked over at me before clearing his throat and proceeding with the meeting. "Guys, it is a huge safety risk to put your coworkers in harm's way for money. We are a family here, and that means that we protect each other. If there is a customer here that makes you or someone else uncomfortable, then please report it to me. I do not want what happened today to repeat itself. Do not fraternize with the customers."

Sarah raised her hand, "but some customers refused to be seated in anyone else's section and are not flexible with the seating."

Frank gave her an expression, "then those customers can go eat somewhere else. I'm not going to put anyone here in harm's way because of the comfort of some guests." Sarah rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest in defeat. The meeting was less than rememberable as Frank started to rush us out of the breakroom so that he could let the dinner rush in.

I wrapped my apron around my waist and did everything in my power to urge myself to forget Michael. But as he promised before, he was there for dinner and sitting in my section. "Hey, if you want to switch sections tonight then that's fine by me." I looked behind me to see Corey smiling at me sweetly. "Thank you," I said hugging him quickly. I was so happy to be away from Michael tonight, and the look he had on his face when he noticed Corey was hilarious. I did feel bad about Samantha, but she was content with just waving at me.

The night was running smoothly and I was almost disappointed when things started to wind down. "You know he's been here since we opened the doors for dinner," Corey said gesturing towards Michael. "His daughter is practically falling asleep at the table." I snuck a glance at the table and noticed how sleepy Samantha looked, Michael was looking at his watch and staring at us with anticipation. I had no interest in talking to him or answering any questions on his questionnaire.

So, when I saw Unser walking into the diner I practically jumped on him. "Hey, how have you been? I haven't seen you in a while."

"Oh, I've just been here really, is there anything I can get you?"

Unser shifted from foot to foot nervously, "you got time to talk?" I looked around and noticed that my section was darn near empty and the look on Michael's face was all I needed to make my decision. "Yeah, I have time."

I led him to the farthest table in the restaurant and the most private. Unser must have noticed my wrist because it was the first thing he asked about when we sat down.

"Oh, it's nothing really, don't worry about it." Unser looked unsure and looked around the room. "You know that guy has been watching you like a hawk ever since I walked in here. Is there something you wanna tell me?"

I bit my lip and refrained from meeting Michael's stare, "no, I am completely fine, I used to work at the daycare where his daughter goes."

Unser nodded his head, "okay, well, if there is anything you'd ever like to say please don't hesitate. We all miss you terribly around the club, we wouldn't ever want you to get in some trouble."

I nodded my head and let my mind drift; the way my 'family' would solve this problem would create more chaos than peace. I was just starting to feel a little bit of my freedom without them, I didn't want to be pushed back into the life because I couldn't handle one guy.

"Unser, I'm fine, and you can let Gemma know that I'm okay too. I know that she's the one who sent you."

"Contrary to popular belief, I just like the sandwiches here." I could tell he was joking as I let the laughter shake my body. "Yeah, okay, I'll go put an order in for you." I got up from the table and made my up to the window to hand Unser's order to the chef. I looked over at Michael's table to see that he was finally gone and I took a sigh of relief.

Closing time was a breeze for me after that. When I handed Unser his sandwich, he took it to go so there was no one else to clean up after. All that there was left to do was gather up my tips and leave, so that's what I did. But when I got outside with Corey I noticed Michael's vehicle parked next to mine.

"This guy again?" Corey sucked his teeth. A part of me was angry and frustrated that Michael couldn't take a hint, but another part of me was paranoid and scared. Corey was thankfully there to walk me to my car, so when Michael jumped out of his vehicle I felt a little more at ease.

When he noticed Corey standing protectively behind me, he straightened up. "Look, I just wanted to come and apologize. Can we please talk?" he looked sincere and against my nature, I agreed. I made sure to stay in view of Corey and a few steps away from Michael. He noticed how far away I stood from him and I could see how much it hurt him. "Look Desiree, I didn't mean to come on so strong, and I'm sorry for how aggressive I've been lately. It's just that I like you so much and I wanted you to know that. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable around me."

I began to soften, "Michael, I understand that you may like me, but I have already told you that I'm not interested in dating right now. I have a lot going on and I don't think being in a relationship is what I need right now."

"Would your mind change if I was him?" he snapped.

"Excuse me?" I said confused.

"Desiree, stop playing yourself, the only reason you don't want to date me is because I'm not him."

No, I don't want to date you because you've been acting like a psycho and I'm not interested. But of course, I didn't say this out loud, instead, I just stared at him like he grew an extra head. "Michael, I don't think that is any of your business."

"Oh, what is it? You don't like being called out on your bs? You know what, you really had me fooled thinking that you were something great. But instead, you're just one of the regular whores who ride on the back of those Harleys."

My mouth dropped from shock; Michael had done a complete 180 from who I thought he was. "Don't ever talk to me again," was all I could muster to say. I turned around to leave and he grabbed my wrist again, this time being more painful because of his grab from before. Corey was seconds from intervening, but I had managed to slap Michael which caused him to let me go.

When Michael stepped back he held his cheek in shock. The slap seemed to pull him back to his previous demeanor and suddenly he was remorseful again. "Desiree, I didn't mean to, I'm so sorry!" He tried to comfort me but Corey pulled me back, "stay away from her you creep!"

I was genuinely freaked out from how easily he was able to switch personalities. I didn't even notice Unser run up from out of nowhere. He was holding his gun and he motioned for Michael to get in his vehicle and leave. Michael held his hands up in surrender before he finally slithered away like the snake he was.

"I thought you left," I said shakily.

"I was going to but I wanted to make sure that you were okay," Unser said looking down at me. He reached for my hand and I winced at his touch. "That's it, I'm telling Gemma."

"Unser!" I protested.

"Desiree, that man hurt you, God knows what could have happened if me or Corey wasn't here." I looked over at Corey who was still holding on to me protectively. I felt defeated and maybe a bit naïve. "C'mon girly, let's get you to the emergency room about that wrist." I didn't even bother arguing since they were probably going to drag me in the car anyway. I didn't talk the whole ride to the hospital. I had nothing more to say, Unser had made up his mind about telling Gemma. And I knew he already was doing so when they were giving me a brace for my wrist. It was only sprained but I knew that no matter how small the injury, the aftermath would be catastrophic.