Chapter 24. Ramone

Desiree

"If you need anything just call me," Jax said kneeling before me. He had got a call from Tara which ultimately made him have to leave. I can't say that seeing him go didn't make me sad, I felt so safe with him. But alas, he was a married man with a family, I couldn't compete with that. I was so shaken up by tonight's events that I was a little scared to go back to Wendy's. I had overheard Jax and Wendy arguing outside my hospital room about all the possible "what ifs" and my paranoia had crept back in. I don't know if Michael was capable of doing all the things Jax said, but I wouldn't put it past him after tonight. I wouldn't put anything past anyone ever again.

"Come on Turtle, I'll take you guys home," Opie said while offering his hand out to me. I was incredibly grateful that he was taking us home, and it put me a bit more at ease to know that someone would be there. Wendy grabbed my things for me as we headed to Opie's truck. She hadn't said much to me since I was discharged, but Wendy was gentle, she didn't like to push the envelope. I know Jax had shaken her up tonight with what he said and based on how combative they were it made me curious as to how they managed to even make it to the altar. But those were answers I could live without.

"Oh God," Wendy said with a heavy sigh.

"What?" I asked curiously.

"Jess called me five times in the last hour," Wendy said going through her phone. She put her phone to her ear in an attempt to return one of the many calls from her girlfriend. "Hey, slow down, what's going on?" I could hear a panicked Jess on the other line. Opie and I shared a look as Wendy attempted to calm Jess down, "oh my God, Opie you have to go faster!" she yelled from the backseat. Opie gave her a look before she made the request again with more urgency.

I was beyond confused as the mood in the car elevated. I didn't know what to think as we pulled up and saw a bunch of police cruisers parked outside of Wendy's apartment. Jess was sitting in the back of an ambulance, seemingly unharmed with a blanket around her. My heart started to race as Opie came to a stop and we slipped outside of the truck.

Wendy ran up to Jess as the distressed woman jumped in her arms. She had tears running down her face and she was shaking so bad. I looked around for someone to talk to when I saw Roosevelt and Patterson standing with a group of officers. "Hey!" I called out to them, they turned around to look at me and their faces were unreadable.

Patterson and Roosevelt came up to me and Opie stood by my side. "I'm glad to see that you're okay Desiree," Patterson said.

"Why wouldn't I be? What happened?" concern dripped from my voice as they shared a look with each other. Roosevelt led us past the yellow tape and into the apartment. When we got into the apartment my mouth dropped to the floor. The place was completely trashed! Nothing was stolen, but it looked like someone was trying to send a message.

Glass crunched under our feet as we walked deeper into the apartment. Opie slipped in front of me as we began to inspect the rooms. When we got into Wendy's room, I could hear Opie curse under his breath. He became like a wall in front of me that wouldn't move. I knew immediately that he was trying to protect me from seeing something bad.

I fought my way around him only to see something I wish I hadn't. Hanging from the ceiling fan was Wendy's bulldog, Ramone. And as if that wasn't bad enough, a bloody message was written on the wall. My body froze as I read the words, "you're next biker b****," written above Wendy's bed. I heard a scream behind me and turned around to see Wendy staring at her dog in disbelief.

Roosevelt began to usher everyone back outside because being in the room was proving to be too much. Once we were fully outside, Patterson pulled me to the side to talk to me. "Desiree, we can protect you if come with us. I'm sure this is Pope making an attempt to put a hit out on you from the inside."

I knew that if I went with Patterson that the chase would never end. That the people working for Pope would just come after my friends and family until I finally gave in. I couldn't put the people I love through that; I wouldn't allow it. "You know I can't do that; it won't stop here."

Patterson grew frustrated, "Desiree, look at me, the best thing you can do right now is to protect yourself! It will only get worse from here. You can't save everyone."

"I will put EVERYONE in danger if I get in that car with you! Don't you get it? They want me and they'll do whatever it takes to make sure they get me."

She breathed heavily, "I can't protect you if you stay."

"I know but try to protect them," I gestured over to Wendy and her girlfriend who were still shaking at the sight of Ramone. They didn't deserve any of this and I felt such an overwhelming amount of guilt for getting them into this. "Make sure that Wendy and Jess make it safely out of Charming, they at least deserve that."

"I'll do what I can," Patterson said shortly. I knew that she was upset with my decision, but she knew as well as I do that I was speaking the truth. Revenge was an ugly monster that wouldn't rest until it was fed, and I knew that her morality would always choose the safety of her people over the safety of one person.

"I'll call Jax so we can figure out what to do, in the meantime, you need to lay low. Whoever did this has been watching your every move, we need to keep you hidden for now" Opie ushered me back into the truck and I waved goodbye to Wendy who was holding Jess. I knew that she had changed her life for the better, but even she would understand the reasons behind my decision.

"Don't worry Turtle, we'll figure this out," Opie said in an attempt to console me. But I can't say I had confidence in what he was saying. Would everything truly be alright?

"Ope?"

"hmm?" he glanced over at me.

"When you were willing to go to prison with the guys, what were you thinking?"

The truck was silent for a second before he answered, "after Donna and my dad was killed, things just seemed pointless. The world was just grey. The only thing that made sense was the club, the only clear mission was to protect the club."

"Did you ever think about your kids, Lyla?"

"Yeah, but I was such a screw-up husband and father, I knew that they would be protected even after I was gone."

"And now? Would you still do the same thing?"

Opie shifted in his seat uncomfortably and shot me a glance, "things are good now, things are clearer. But I would still die in the place of a brother, in the place of family. The club is my family."