Chapter 11. The Big Chop

Desiree

I clocked into the daycare and went straight to the locker room to put my things away. While I was there I was able to go to the office to see where I was stationed today. Since I was a childcare assistant, I usually assisted with tending to the kids. I was primarily responsible for helping during feedings, changings, and helping out the teachers. Today I was stationed in Ms. Susan's class, she taught and cared for five-year-olds. I had helped Ms. Susan out before, and I enjoyed working with her, so I was more than happy to go.

When I arrived at the classroom, students were still pouring into the class. Ms. Susan gave me a warm greeting before all of the students arrived. She had a class of eleven students and I was basically here for crowd control. Usually, if another worker needed help in another class or the nursery, then I would be sent there to help. But since the morning had just started, I figured I would at least stay with Mrs. Susan's class for their breakfast.

I began to take the bowls of cereal off the cart to put them on the tables when I noticed a small girl coming in crying. She was wearing a beanie on her head and Ms. Susan was having a conversation with the girl's father. Once he left, Ms. Susan was trying to calm the child down, but it didn't look like she was getting anywhere. So, when I was done emptying the cart of cereal I made my way over to the girl. "Samantha, I'm sure it's not that bad. I bet you look absolutely beautiful," Ms. Susan said trying to console her. But the little girl wasn't hearing any of it and continued to cry harder.

"What's going on?" I asked, Susan gave a heavy sigh and got up from the ground. "Samantha got a haircut yesterday because of her alopecia. Des, she was losing so much hair, I'm sure her dad was just trying to help." I looked down at the crying little girl sympathetically, "look, go be with the other kids. I'll take care of her."

Susan nodded her head and left me alone with the little girl. "Samantha, what's the matter?" it was a simple question, but it allowed her to pull herself together. She tried to compose herself, "I don't have any hair, girls are supposed to have hair."

"Aw, well hair isn't everything. I know a lot of women who have short hair and look beautiful." She looked at me skeptically, "my brother said short hair is for boys."

"Well, I don't think that's true. Your hair does not take away from who you are, and girls can totally have short hair. I have short hair," I said tossing my own.

"Yeah, but it's not short like mine," she reached for the hat on her head and revealed her hair. It was in a cute pixie cut with a gigantic, purple bow. Most likely the initial attempt dad used at cheering her up. I stared at Samantha for a moment, contemplating what I would say to her next but I came up short. She continued to be down for the entirety of the day. She wouldn't play with the other kids, she barely ate, and she hid her head underneath that hat.

When her dad came to pick her up, her attitude had not improved. He looked so torn and I could tell that he was really trying to support her. Susan let me know that he was a single father and that he had sole custody of Samantha. I felt so bad for Samantha the entire day, so when I finally got an idea I jumped on it without hesitation.

"Hi, you must be Samantha's dad, my name is Desiree," I extended my hand out to shake his. He took my hand in his and gave it a firm shake, "Hi, my name is Michael, it's nice to meet you."

Michael was a handsome guy, with light brown eyes and dark hair. He unknowingly was being gawked at by the other women in the daycare. "Samantha told me about what her brother said today, and I did my best to encourage her."

He looked down at his daughter, who looked away sheepishly. "Yeah, she went to visit her mom over the weekend, I didn't know about what had been said. Sammy, did Derek say that to you?" He kneeled in front of her, "honey, don't listen to that, Daddy thinks you look very pretty just the way you are."