Chapter 8. Fighting Bullies

Tara

I was sitting up against a desk as I explained a procedure to my patient's parents. "It's because Diana's abdominal wall hasn't fully developed, so Dr. Namid is gonna perform-" Unfortunately, to my horror my explanation was cut off by Gemma knocking loudly on my window. I was horrified when I saw the biker queen flailing her hands outside the window. I looked at the couple apologetically before I excused myself.

When I got out of the room, Gemma was already snapping at Margaret. I was so embarrassed, but of course, Gemma didn't care about how she made anyone else look. "I'm sorry," I said to Margaret as I pulled Gemma to the side.

"What the hell are you doing? I'm trying to have a meeting."

"Apparently, I'm not on the list!" she handed me a consent form from the daycare. I took a deep breath before I took the paper from Gemma's hands. Truth is, I didn't want Gemma watching the kids. It was one of the main reasons I put them in daycare.

"Yes, the hospital requires consent upon visitation."

"I'm not a visitor, I am their damn grandmother," she spat.

"And I'm their mother. You will not bully me into how I raise my children," I turned my back on her and proceeded to walk back to my meeting.

"I am not bullying. I am just helping the strangers that are taking care of my grandkids."

"I don't need your help," I snapped back. I was so irritated and angry; she was always so pushy. She wanted to control every aspect of my life and critique everything. With Jax inside, it was my turn to show her that I could do things without her, despite what she thought of me.

Then I noticed a small purple bruise on her neck and my lips curled up in disgust. "Wrap a scarf around that sh**, what are you fifteen?" Her hand went up to her neck, "I hear you loud and clear mom," she shoved the consent form at me and turned to leave. I knew this wouldn't be the end of her need to trump me, but I was prepared for her and whatever cronies she sent my way.

"I hate it when she makes you stoop to her level," Margaret said as Gemma walked away. "I didn't stoop!" I snapped at Margaret whose mouth hung open in shock. I was tired of being compared or even equated to Gemma in any small way. We may share the same world, but I was nothing like her.

I tried to retract my professionalism so that I could still finish my meeting. No doubt, that I probably had a scowl on my face the whole time. I was only able to calm myself when I went to get Thomas for his feeding. I retrieved him from the nursery and brought him to my office so that I can sign some paperwork. However, if I knew that Wendy was going to be working today, I would have just gone home.

"Sorry to barge in," she said holding up her hands.

"This is not a good time," I said ignoring her I-come-with-peace attitude.

"Guess not," she searched around for something to say before her eyes landed on Thomas. "He's really beautiful," she said with a smile on her face.

"Thank you, I have to go," I said grabbing his car seat so that I could leave. I had no intention of sticking around for whatever Wendy had to say.

"We need to begin a conversation about Abel," she blurted.

"There is no conversation." Abel is my son, she was the one who walked away, and I am the one who is raising him. I didn't need the likes of her near my child.

"Look Tara, your life is very messy, I know that because it used to be my life. With Jax running the club, it's just going to get worse."

"And what does that have to do with my son?"