Chapter 100

"Come on, Nyx, you have to wake up for school!." I prodded my sleeping daughter and glanced at my clock. It was going on at seven in the morning, and I wanted her to get up so she could go learn with Kharon today. I felt a little bad for waking her up so early, but I wanted her become a well-adjusted member of society, and by society, I mean Asteria.

"But mother, five more minutes." She murmured as she nestled further into the blankets.

"No, I want you to wake up now. Kharon will be preparing for the class, and I don't want you to make him wait. Get up now." I stood over her and crossed my arms. I was trying to decide how far I should go to wake her up. If anything, I would yank the blanket off of her if she refused to listen, or I could be like my dad and flip the bed. But that seems kind of mean, so I would wait and use that as a last resort.

She groaned as she sat up and wiped away her bleary eyes. "I don't want to go."

"Well, you need to. He can teach you things that I can't. Besides, it will do you well to learn how to use magic and protect yourself." I leaned against the door frame, crossed my arms, and regarded my daughter, who was still trying to wake up. She was such a heavy sleeper at times. It was like she was dead to the world.

"But mom, I wanna stay home." She set her arms down on the fluffy black blanket I made for her and gazed up at me with a pair of puppy dog eyes.

"No, not allowed. Get up." I snapped my fingers as I tried to hurry her along, and I walked across her room towards one of the small wardrobes on the corner. I quickly rummaged through it, bringing out some clothes I had made for her. The dress she wore first was pretty, but I wanted her to wear something else for once.

I found some clothing to work out for her: a pair of black leggings and a tank top, matched with a thin black jacket. I quickly folded them and put them into her backpack and then sorted through the clothes once more and found her a short black dress that I knew she would like. The fabric was soft under my fingertips and felt much like silk.

I envied the girl for having such nice clothing, but it didn't bother me. I wasn't a fan of wearing overly extravagant clothing. But I wasn't about to berate her about it. She seemed to enjoy it, which was all that mattered to me. I gathered all her underwear that she would need and the rest of the dress.

I heard the soft sound of feet hitting stone, and I spun around with her clothing in hand. "Here you go. Get dressed." I pushed the clothing into her hands before she could even reply. I was excited for her. Yet, it felt like she was growing up so fast.

With that done, I decided I would give her some privacy and left. I glided down the hall, humming to myself as I left her room and walked to my office. Today was going to be a good day. I was going to see her off to her classes, and then I would spend the day relaxing. Though I had no idea what I wanted to do yet. I had a bottle of wine I could crack into. So maybe while I had time, I could get a buzz going. I just didn't want to do it with Nyx here. Something about being drinking around her really bothered me, and I didn't want to be that sort of parent.

I waltzed into my office, sat down in my chair, and closed a few of the notebooks I had laid open, though I made sure that the pages were marked. I was only going to be gone for a day or two, but I didn't want to risk losing anything that I was working on. Without a second thought, I fell back into my chair and stared at the ceiling as I tried to clear my mind until I heard Nyx walk in.

"Mother, how do I look?" She walked into my office wearing the dress I picked out for her. It was a silken black outfit that went down to her knees. I made entirely the hem of her lace dress that rose three centimeters before it meshed back with the rest of the fabric. A few buttons covered by a thin patch of fabric were down the center of the dress. The sleeves extended to her wrists and flared outwards like freshly bloomed rose petals. She wore her hair in loose waves that stretched down and brushed against the textured collar of her dress.