XXV

Letters after letters. Almost three months have passed without any messages regarding Hogwarts. Michelle wrote almost everyday about her vacation in Saudi Arabia. What came as surprise, she and Argus Malfoy met a couple of times during the break. Meanwhile, Tiana and Dixon have broken up. I didn't hear it from her, but Michelle included that small information on the papers. Cedric, on the other hand, didn't write to me after one letter—Nevertheless, Potter and the Weasley family wanted me to come by whenever I had the chance.

I've spent these last two months catching up with my friends and family. Lea, a girl I've known since we were little, took it pretty hard to say goodbye to me when I left for Hogwarts. Meanwhile, my ex, Noah, seemed to be baffled that I would take a trip to Europe that didn't have anything to do with my education. I've never told Lea what it was about, just briefly about the trip and who I met along the way—but my father knew, and so did my little brother Jacob.

Noah always came to visit while my father despise having him around. There wasn't any bad blood between us, but I tried multiple times to ditch him. Nothing happened between us, except for his confession that he wanted to try again.

My father's apartment was pretty decent. He hasn't touched it since my mother died, which meant everything was still here. The entire decoration was my mother's choice, as well as our bedrooms. She was always a demanding woman when it came to styling anyone's house, for example, our neighbour's house. We lived close to Central Park, thanks to my father's uncle who gave it for a low price—and sometimes when money wasn't piling up around here, my mother would magically help our rent. 

"Turn on the TV." Jacob plopped his legs on the table glass my father recently bought for the living room. "I bet you can't."

I tilted my head toward him, leaning back against the sofa while shooting a glance. "You know I can, but I'm not allowed to use my wand."

"Come on!" He whined like a little kid. "Nobody will know!"

A shrug parted my lips, shaking my head in disagreement. "Jacob, I swear to God, I will beat your ass if you keep asking."

"Then why do you get a wand if you can't use it?" Jacob arched an eyebrow, examining my expression for any reaction.

I flashed an innocent smile and gradually leaned closer to him. "Because they know I will blast someone's ass, and that will be you."

Jacob blew a whoosh of air in frustration, promptly getting up from his seat and pacing down the hall. "Guess I'm testing it out on my own!"

I jumped up from the couch, eyes widened in horror at this point as my feet moves faster than my brain could comprehend. "Don't you dare!"

My father quickly went out of the kitchen and grabbed my arm. "Mija, no running down the hall!"

Jacob laughed until the sound of my door shutting behind him, disappeared with his voice. I groaned in frustration and looked up at my father. "Dad, he is taking my wand?!"

"Mija, he doesn't even know how to count to five. You think he knows how to be a fairy?" He parted his hand away from me and head back to our open kitchen that lined up with the living room. "Come on, help your old pal' out."

It felt like an obligation than a desire to help my father as I strolled around the kitchen desk. "Dad. Do you think they still want me?"