chapter five

In Potions the next day, Hermione gestured frantically towards the empty space next to Theodore Nott, and Harry shook his head vehemently.

"Absolutely not!" he said. "What am I even going to say?"

"You can figure it out when you get there!" Hermione said sternly. "Go on!"

Reluctantly, he made his way over the Theo's desk and sat down, the Slytherin boy looking a little confused as he did.

"Can i help you with something?" he asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

"We're supposed to be getting into partners," Harry pointed out.

Theo still didn't understand. "You want to be my partner?"

"Yes, actually-"

"Theo!"

Pansy Parkinson came over to Theo's desk grinning, and Harry felt nettled. "I want to be your partner, Theo."

"Actually-" Harry was cut off as Pansy gently tugged him out of his seat.

"You know, Draco over there is in desperate need of a partner," she said, pointing over to where Malfoy stood alone, looking bored and sad, pouring the ingredients onto the desk. "Go to him!"

"But-" Harry was outraged. "I'm not partnering up with Malfoy!"

Pansy raised an eyebrow. "Darling, there's no one left."

Theo was encouraging him too. "Yeah, go on!"

Boiling with anger, Harry moodily stalked over to Malfoy, shoving his bag down under the desk.

"Had a bad day, have we?" Malfoy said, raising an arrogant eyebrow.

"Shove off," Harry retorted.

Sneering, Malfoy glared at him. "Potter, if you don't want to be my partner, no one's forcing you."

"It's not like there's anyone else," Harry said, looking around the room remorsefully.

"So, I'm your last resort, am I?" Malfoy said, beginning to cut up Flobberworms. "I'll be glad to let you know, Potter, that the mere thought of partnering with you in a Potions lesson of all things revolts me to no extent, so while I am your last resort, you wouldn't even be considered as one for me."

Harry stood there in silence, not knowing how to respond. "Well, if it's such a problem, I won't work with you!"

He began to grab his things when Draco sighed. "Don't be so dramatic, Potter. Besides, you'll most likely just get yourself a T."

"Fine!" Harry exclaimed, exasperated. "Stop bloody complaining then, Jesus!"

Malfoy scrunched his nose at the blasphemy. "You're turning into a Muggle, Potter. Please stop."

The brunette boy just ignored him, opening his own textbook to follow the instructions.

By the end of the lesson, the two boys practically had O's under their belts and grudging acceptance for one another. Slughorn endlessly praised their potion and presented it to the whole class as an example. When they both packed their things to leave, Malfoy didn't say another word to Harry, who suddenly felt the urge to speak.

"Thank you for... helping..." he said, the gratitude leaving his mouth with reluctance. "I'm not very good at Potions."

Malfoy snorted. "Potter, that, is an understatement."

They parted ways, and Harry was sure it'd be unlikely for them to ever speak again.

How very wrong he was.

***

harry
hi
did we speak to each other today

damien
depends
how many people have you spoken to today?

harry
so we have

damien
i never said that

harry
...

damien
harry, i'll tell you in my own time who i am

harry
that's not fair
i didn't get to tell you in 'my own time'

damien
that's hardly my fault
it's not my fault you're so bad at hiding who you are
let me guess, you're horrid at occlumency, too?

harry
that is NOT fair
occlumency feels like someone is ripping your brain open!

damien
how did you defeat the dark lord if he could read your mind like a book?

harry
i didn't defeat him on my own, you know

damien
of course you didn'tyou only, what, wasted a year hunting down tiny
artifacts with his soul in them
and then proceeded to die
and then caused his own curse to rebound upon himself
but, you didn't do any of that on your own, of course

harry
well, not the first one.
why are you being so stingy today?

damien
because i'm tired of the first thing you ask being 'did we speak'or something about guessing who i am
you don't respect my wishes to stay a secret
and i'm sorry i guessed who you were, but i didn't actively try to

harry
you're right...
i'm sorry

damien
i know you, harry
you're still going to try, i know you are

harry
you know me well, do you?

damien
...

harry
shit, sorry
you do know me well...

damien
it's fine, i understand
and i will tell you
just... not now

Harry sighed in defeat. That's all he could do. If Damien was reluctant, he knew there was little he could do to coax him into revealing himself, and settled with what he had.

But he would find out eventually.

Harry just hoped it wasn't as bad as Damien was making it seem...

***

ok sorry for the late update. things r stressful ahhahsjdhksdf

vote, comment n add to your library lovelies!!