2.10: I Don't Know You Yet

TW: Skin picking/rubbing.

As the day dragged on, I started to dread when the sky turns pink and the stars come out. Putting on that suit would mean talking to Peter. I know it's cowardly but I can't help but think of ways to try and avoid him. A voice whispers in my mind, an old voice, one that I haven't heard in a while. It tells me how disappointed the Red Room would be if they knew about my hesitance to face him.

The voice makes me freeze. My pen hovers above my paper as I halt from writing about alkalis and acids. The teachers voice muffled out and distorts into an all too familiar one. One that I thought I wouldn't have to hear again.

"What happened to you?" Dreykov's voice sneers in my head, making my blood run cold. "My weapon turned into a snivelling baby as soon as you meet the real world. Weak."

My hands fly to my ears, a futile attempt at blocking out the voice in my head, squeezing my eyes shut as I try to ignore the confused glance from Peter in front of me.

Not now, not now, not now. I plead to myself, not in front of everyone here. Not in front of Peter.

Yet Dreykov's voice continued, though this time it's accompanied by someone else. Eden scoffs in my head, though it seems as though they're right next to me, laughing and sneering.

"You're a failure." Eden says before cackling. The noise makes me press my hands over my ears more firmly. The only sound I can hear is the blood rushing in my head. As well as Eden and Dreykov. "The only mistake Dreykov ever made was putting you in the experiment instead of me. You don't belong anywhere. Not here, not in the Red Room, not even with your beloved Yelena. Soon enough she'll leave you aswell, like your parents, like everyone in your worthless little life."

A warm hand clasps itself over clammy ones, slowly lowering them from my ears. I slowly open my eyes to find Peter staring at me, his face creased with worry and confusion. The teacher drones on as though nothing has happened and everyone sits bored, pens in their hands and the occasional sigh breaking through the monotone voice talking about chemistry.

Only Peter has noticed. The thought would've brought a smile to my face but not when others are still echoing around.

I look down at our entwined hands, focusing on the warmth seeping from Peter's hands into mine, trying to keep myself grounded. My breath starts to quicken as a faint red tinge surrounds our hands and I quickly snatch my hands back. Without the comforting warmth coming from Peter, they start to feel cold. But not for long as the familiar prickle of power engulfs my fingers.

Peter looks at me, his gaze filled with worry and concern, but I'm unable to answer his silent question. My mouth refuses to let any words through.

I put my hand up, grabbing the teachers attention and asking to go to the toilet before quickly putting it down before any notices the faint red cloud around it. But Peter does. His eyes widen as he tries to take in what he saw. Just before I see realisation hit, I get up from my seat and quickly walk out, feeling Peter's gaze on me even after the door closes.

I don't know where I'm walking towards. All I do know is that I need to get somewhere quickly before the sobs start. A door on the right catches my attention and I gratefully go inside. The closet is dark and I walk into a pull switch. The light flickers on but hardly does anything. I spot an upturned bucket in the corner and sit down onto it, burying my head into my arms to try and stifle my crying.

The voices come back now it's silent. Dreykov and Eden fill the room, along with Hazel and all the people I've killed. Their voices join together in an eerie song, the verses full of hatred and fear, the chorus full of disgust.