2.1: The Monday Blues

Beep beep beep. The sound of my alarm wakes me up along with the singing coming from the kitchen. I groan and rub my eyes. Who the fuck decided that school should start this early? It's literally my first day and I'm already looking forward to the weekend.

I turn of the annoying sound and contemplate even getting out of bed before deciding against it. An angry Yelena is probably worse than school. I think.

I throw my blanket of me before swinging my legs out of bed and standing aimlessly in the middle of my room. The early morning sun streams through the cracks in my curtained window and it makes the whole room a sunset orange. A nice start to a probably shit day. I lazily throw on some clothes and trudge out of my room, my phone and school bag in one hand.

"Bye bye miss American pie." Yelena sings along to the radio as she plates up two steaming omelets. Her eyes turn to look up at me and I raise my eyebrow at the scene. "Don't get used to it. Only for the first day of school."

I sit down at the breakfast table and cradle my head in my arms. Groaning, I massage my temples to try and get the tiredness away. How is Yelena so awake already?

"How long have you been awake?"

Yelena hums in response, distracted by the food. "Don't know. Woke up at around four I think."

My eyes widen. And I thought half six is bad. "Why?"

She ignores my question and instead placed a piece of paper in front of me. The acceptance letter from Midtown High. "Don't lose it. It's got your locker number and student code so you can get your timetable."

I nod tiredly and shove the paper in my bag. It'll be crumpled by the time I get to school but at least I'll have it. I have more important stuff to deal with anyway, such as not falling asleep in my breakfast.

My thoughts drift to Natasha, Melina and Alexei again. The last time I had seen them was two days ago on Saturday. I absentmindedly pop a piece of omelet in my mouth as I wonder about their whereabouts. Melina and Alexei are probably fine, it's Natasha I'm mostly worried about. She is a global fugitive after all and when I had left, Ross had found her.

Yelena clicks in my face and points at the clock on the wall. Half seven. I've only got fifteen minutes until I have to set of. Shit.

I quickly run into the bathroom and in my haste, accidentally turn the toothpaste into a pen. I guess I'm worrying more about school than I realised.

"Roselyn! You're going to be late!" Yelena calls from the living room. I quickly run in with my bag swung over my shoulder and coat half on. She presses some money in my hand. "For lunch."

"Ok. Bye!" I say quickly before running out of the door. Converse are a lot easier to run in than I first thought.

New York City bustles with activity even at eight in the morning. Street vendors tempt you with food and shop windows burst with warmth. I have to force myself to not go into Delmar's but I still give a sneaky look inside. Their shop seemed to have gained more chocolate variety and I smile at the thought of all the new stuff I have to try. I'm so distracted that I walk right into a girl about my age.

Her curly hair is put into a ponytail and she stares at me with an I-don't-care look on her face.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry." I quickly apologise to this new girl.

She smiles slightly at me and brushed her hair out of her face. "It's fine. We all have embarrassing moments, this is just one more for you."