10: A Trip Down Memory Lane

The cool air pushes ripples along my red cloak and the early morning sun peeks through the trees. The sight almost enough to distract me from the shouts of the two sisters fighting in front of me.

Yelena and Natasha had been going at this for about an hour now, completely forgetting about the promise Natasha had made me; this was only a demo. Even in the Red Room demos only ever lasted a couple of minutes. Though they usually had to stop early when the volunteer was laying on the ground with blood decorating the mat.

I sit back in the cloth lawn chair and pull out my phone. Three new messages were shown on my lock screen and I click on them, wondering who had sent them.

Yesterday

Peter Parker- 22:39
Hey, It's Peter. I was just
checking to see if you're alright.
I missed you at school today.

Peter Parker- 22:41
I meant didn't see you. Not
missed as though was sad you
weren't there.

Peter Parker- 22:42
Well I was sad that you weren't
there. But yeah..

Today

Roselyn Paxton- 9:13
Haha. Sure you missed me. I
won't be at school for a while
because something has
happened. Nothing to worry
about though.

Peter Parker- 9:15
Oh, hope everything's ok??

Roselyn Paxton- 9:15
Yeah everything's fine.

I smile despite myself and clutch my phone closer. It was nice that someone cared enough to notice that I wasn't there.

Natasha tapped my knee and I looked up. She gestured over to where she had placed a cloth mannequin. Placing my phone on a table, I step towards it and clutch my fists.

"So, first thing first. What can you do?" Natasha asks me and crosses her arms.

"It's better if I just show you." I reply, still looking at the mannequin.

She hums in response and I stance myself. Taking a deep breath and putting both hands I front of me. I close my eyes and concentrate.

A massive ball of red energy emerges and I push it onto the statue. It stays there for a second, moving around as though it were alive. I keep my eyes trained on it and take in another deep breath.

The red smoke starts to change colour, turning from red into green. It starts sizzling and wherever the murky substance touched, left a hole. Soon the whole mannequin was disintegrated and where it was stood was a small red residue smeared onto a chard wooden stub that once held the cloth statue.

I place my hands back to my side and breath in deeply before turning to the two sisters. They were both stood next to each other but had completely different expressions.

Yelena bore a large grin and held her thumbs up, bouncing up and down slightly like a five year old who just found the secret supply of sugary sweets.

Natasha on the other hand only had a small grin. But a grin nonetheless.

She stepped forward and patted me on the back.

"Well done Spector." She said to me, a hint of pride evident in her voice.

I nod and look back at the damage. The red mark was still there and I took a step towards it. As I held out a finger to touch it, the substance grew more vigorous and started moving more.

I felt a small pull to it and took away the distance. As soon as my finger touched the red, it started climbing up my hands and pooled in my palms before disappearing inside of me. I look up to see Natasha staring at me, giving me a confused look.

She steps towards me and grabs my hand in hers to inspect my palm. "What the hell was that?"

I shrug. "It's from the experiment." I mutter and look back at her but she stares at me, expecting more of an explanation. "With the Reality Stone?"

Natasha turns to Yelena with an unreadable expression and they seem to have a silent conversation.

I stare between them both and try to figure out what was being said. Suddenly Natasha turns to me. "Reality Stone?"

I nod and rub my arms. It was freezing out here in the woods and even with my cloak on, the bitter air still managed to get through. The situation wasn't making the cold any better either. "I don't know what it is exactly. But I remember what it looked like." I take a deep breath and look at them both, asking for permission. "Can I?"

"Can you wha-" But before Yelena finished her question, their reality changed.

I brought my hands out and grabbed both of theirs and closed my eyes. I thought of the day that everything changed and by the small gasps next to me, they could see it too.

I thought of all the girls lying on the floor. I thought of the red substance in the machine before it flying towards me. I thought of how painful it was and how much it burned. I thought of everything but my vision. That, I've decided, is something that I will protect with my life.

As soon as the guards footsteps were heard in the memory, I cut the connection between us three. I slowly opened my eyes to find them both staring at me, Yelena had tears in her eyes but Natasha didn't. Yet she was still looking at me with a sort of sadness.

I smiled shyly and looked down, hugging my arms. It was the first time that I had shared that with anyone. Even though I didn't have many people to talk to, it was still a massive step forward and I felt as though a massive weight has been lifted.

However another weight appeared on my shoulder. A hand. I looked up to who it belonged to and saw Natasha smiling down at me. "I'm proud of you Roselyn."

I smiled at her and felt pride swell up in my chest. I held myself with a new feeling. Confidence.

Slowly but surely I was healing. Though it may take some time, tiny steps are better than none.

————————————————————————
AN: Hey peeps

Look at my little bean growing up. Don't worry btw because I know that Peter hasn't been involved that much but after this little introduction story, he will be in almost every chapter.

How y'all doing? I hope your doing well and I'll see you in the next one

Byeee
- Jess