“Alex, you’re driving much too fast! You have to calm down! I don’t want you to get hurt too,” I mumble softly.

                   “Don’t you dare worry about me,” he whispers fiercely. “Where are you? I’ll come get you”

                   “Alex! I’m in the hospital,” I assure him, keeping my voice as light as possible.

                   “The hospital?! What happened?! Are you alright?! How did you get there?” he demands in rapid succession, obviously on the verge of a full out panic attack.

                   “Alex! Breathe!” I instruct clearly. “I’m fine, alright? I’m in the hospital to see Haden. Will you calm down?”

                   “So you’re with Matt? Everything is okay?”

                   “Uh huh,” I murmur, relieved that he’s calm down. You’d think he’s my father!

                   “Thank god! Okay, hang tight, and don’t leave Matt’s sight, okay? I’ll be right back,” he announces before the line goes dead. I can picture him tossing his phone onto the empty seat beside him, a small half-smile tugging at his lips.

I take a moment to steady myself before walking back into the room. Matt walks up to me and pulls me into a hug. It takes me a moment to realise why; I’m in tears.

                   “It’s alright,” he whispers, ricking me against himself.

                   “How’s Haden?” I ask softly, pulling away from Matt.

                   “He’s okay. Don’t worry. They got the wound stitched. He’ll be fine, okay?” he assures me, pulling a chair beside Haden’s bed for me.

I gratefully take the seat and sit, watching Haden’s chest rise and fall with every breath. “Have you eaten yet?” I finally ask Matt.

                   “No, I’ve been waiting for him to wake up actually. I didn’t want him to wake up to an empty room in an unfamiliar place,” Matt mumbles, his stomach grumbling slightly.

                   “Go and eat before your stomach wakes him up,” I tease, smiling brightly. “I’ll be here in case he wakes up”

                   “How about you? Have you eaten?”

                   “No. But I’m not hungry. Just go Matt! Hurry!” I insist, pushing him towards the door.

Matt grins, pats me on the head and heads out of the room. I close the door behind him and walk back to take my seat beside Haden.