Chapter Two

Racing through town on the handle bars of Jonah’s bike made me feel like I was on a rollercoaster. I’d only ever been on a rollercoaster once, and that was when we travelled to England for a holiday and stopped in Blackpool. With my dress tucked beneath my bum, shoes in my lap and my hands gripping the side of the basket, we were absolutely flying. My hair was tangled by the win, spinning in the air like a free bird. The cold atmosphere was biting at every pore of mine but I didn’t mind because the feeling of weightlessness overtook it by a long shot.

He turned into my driveway, the damp gravel skidding under the tires and flipping up into the air like little circus performers. My oldest sister, Noelle, was on the front porch having a cigarette. She had her bleach blond hair tucked into a bun on the nape of her neck while she sat in the silk night-gown. She must have just woken up. When she finally figured out who it was, she stood before flicking the butt of her cigarette somewhere into the garden.

Jonah’s hands under my arms pulled me out of my awkward position in the basket, helping me to set myself down onto the dirt near my front door. Handing me my shoes, he winked at Noelle before pacing backwards out of our driveway. Noelle, who was probably still half asleep, stepped down the porch stairs and stood beside me. She looked so lovely and thin in her nightgown that I grew jealous of her natural ability. She pulled her arms around her chest and stood beside me as we watched him peddle away.

“Bye Rosie!” He called from down the street and I waved meekly, even though it was at nothing.

“He’s such a snag.” Noelle nodded at me before turning on her heel to return to the house. Pulling my dress up a little in the front, I followed her. Wiping my feet on the mat outside, I gasped as my mother took me out from the side with a hug.

“I’ve been calling you all morning!” She whined, smelling of coffee and incense. The beep from my bra told me she was correct.

“I was in the dead-zone for a while there. And I probably didn’t hear it when I was on the bike.” She let me go when I patted her hand gently. I instantly headed for the coffee machine, taking a mug that was hanging from a hook above my head.

“Rosie’s been with Jonah.” Noelle winked at me, and I couldn’t help but flush red.

“Nooo.” I corrected, filling the mug up with the dark liquid. I toddled over to the fridge to grab the milk. “He offered me a ride because he didn’t want me to walk through town looking like a dirty hooker.”

“Well you do look like a dirty hooker...” Noelle slumped herself at the table. I looked at her appraisingly, putting a cap of milk in before returning to the fridge. Removing my phone from my bra and taking my mug, I planted myself at the table across from my sister. “Walking from Harriet’s, yeah?”

“Yeah.” Nodding, I took a sip. “Where’s Jodie?”

“In bed.”

“The boys?”

“At a friend’s house.”

“Dad?”

“Work.”

“Oh. Alright.” I sighed, flipping open my phone that had three missed calls. They were all from mum, so I cleared them. “What time do you have work, mum?” I looked up to see her slipping on her shoes.

“Right now, actually.” She finished, toddling over to kiss us both on the head. “See you, sweethearts.”

“Bye.” Noelle smiled, snatching the paper from the middle of the table. “I have to go to work in an hour and a half.” She told me before I could ask. “Jodie’s the same. Why don’t you go into the city with Harriet?”