(fourth year) Ch. 38 The First Task

"Dragons"

They were magnificent. Four dragons were in the clearing, pacing around in their cages as wizards rushed around yelling things out to each other. It was a little bit sad to see these amazing dragons caged, but once I saw them spit fire at the people around them and thrash around I knew why it was a good idea to keep them caged.

"Magnificent creatures, 'rnt they?" Hagrid said in an awe struck voice. "Gentle too, most of the time. Except for that Hungarian Horntail. They're nasty pieces of work."

I could see the dragon he was talking about, at least I assumed that was the dragon he was talking about. It was by far the largest one there, a weird dark color that made it hard to see in the flickering light caused by the trees. Spikes covered it's tail making some awful looking hammer. It also seemed to be the only dragon that was actively breathing fire.

The people down the the clearing were trying very hard to keep the Horntail from frying them all into a crisp. A group of the wizards rushed at the dragon from behind, sticking it with a needle before it could turn towards them. The dragon roared in outrage and tried to set the whole forest on fire, before it past out from whatever was in that syringe.

One person broke away from the rest and came up to meet Hagrid and me. It was Charlie!

"Hiya Seamus!!" Charlie looked a bit singed from the dragon but overall seemed to be in very high spirits. "Glad you could make it."

"Hi Charlie!!"

Charlie came over and plopped down in the area Hagrid and I were sitting.

"I was afraid Hagrid wouldn't be able to getcha down here."

"Bah," Hagrid waved a massive hand in dismissal and started laughing. "Like I'd pass up an opportunity to see these beauties."

Charlie grinned wide and starting laughing along with Hagrid.

"Truth be told Seamus, I'm not really supposed to let you see this. These dragons are gonna be used during the first task. Something about not letting the champions getting a head start. Blah blah blah. Durmstrang's headmaster already came by earlier today to check them out."

"What??" My jaw dropped open in probably a more exaggerated way then I meant to. "That's allowed?"

Charlie shrugged. "Technically not. But if a weird Russian looking, ex-death eater wants to see these massive beats I ain't gonna stop them."

Death Eater? Add that to the list of confusing things I don't know.

"I was shocked when the ministry 'llowed him outa Azkaban." Both Hagrid and Charlie seemed to be talking about crazy things I had no idea about.

I nodded along politely as Hagrid and Charlie continued to talk about crazy things that seemed to happen with the headmaster of Durmstrang. I'd honestly have to ask Hermione about all of this later.

~~~

"You tell Ron to come down to my hut later." Hagrid said as we were walking out of the forest.

"Why?"

Hagrid shrugged. "Charlie said he wanted ta see 'im. Brother thing Y'know?"

The mood about Gryffindor Tower was very ... strange. On one end of the chamber, a group of first years were chatting excitedly about the up coming Tournament, on the other was Harry talking angrily to Ron and Hermione. I knew well enough not to get in the way of all that drama so I hurriedly went to the dorm.

Dean was calmly chatting to Léo on the floor while playing a game of exploding snap.

"Hello!" Léo grinned at me from his place on the floor. "You left earlier! Where did you go?"