(third year) Ch. 20 This Is Embarrassing

(We finally get a good chapter! Things'll hopefully get more interesting at this point. Feel free to share any suggestions)

If I'm being completely honest, this was the most confusing summer of my life.

Mam and dad had started to fight, like really fight. Most nights I could hear them screaming at each other from the room next door. I'm surprised mam never drew her wand and ended it then and there.

Dad started drinking again. To hide the bottles from mam he would stash them under my bed, which made her think I was the one drinking. I was almost sent packing.

It wasn't all bad though, I did get to see my friends.

The most confusing part of the summer happened on one of these occasions. It was Lavender's birthday and I was invited for the party.

Lavender lived on a grand house in the middle of a muggle/wizard city. Her parents were filthy rich, with her mother working at the Ministry and her father the inverter of Bye-Bye Acne. Lavender's an only child so we never had to worry about siblings bothering us.

On the day of her birthday I arrived to the large house via flop powder. Dean and Parvati were already there, laughing and joking about something I had missed.

"Seamus!" Lavender rushed over to me and hugged me tight. "Took you long enough!"

Her hair was pulled back into braids with tiny yellow butterflies sitting on them. Her outfit was a light yellow skirt and white blouse, light pink eye shadow coated her eyelids. She was radiating happiness.

"Hi Lav!" I replied. She dragged me over the the couch where the others were sitting.

"Come sit with us, Seamus!" Parvati patted the seat next to her and Dean, and I gratefully sat.

"How's life been?" Parvati asked.

"Pretty good," I lied. "How're your parents?"

"Ugh. Don't get me started. They turned this whole summer into a honeymoon and left Padma and I to do all the boring stuff."

"Harsh." Lav commented.

"Tell me about it. How's your summer been, Dean? You've been here fifteen minutes and haven't said a word."

"Kara got the flu so I've been taking care of her. And Ryan decided last week that he wants to be a soldier of the Queen'a Guard, so I've had to take him around London to watch them. It's been hell."

He looked at me tiredly and I gave him a sympathetic pat on the back.

"You can always come over more often," I offered. "It'll give you a break from babysitting."

He gave a small chuckle, "Planning on it."

"Who wants pizza!" Lav waltzed into the room carrying four pizza boxes in her hands and the party begun.

~~~

"Do you really have to go? We haven't even finished the cake yet!"

Dean laughed.

"My parents can't teleport like yours can, we've gotta take a train back home!"

I pretended to pout, but a smile forced its way thorough. "Tell your parents I say hi."

"I will! I'll come over some time soon though," He started to walk out the door but abruptly stopped and turned back around.

"Wait! I almost forgot."

He pulled me into a sudden bone crushing hug, much to my surprise. I felt my face grow warm as I wrapped my arms around him and hugged him back. Lavender looked at me with a slight raise of her eyebrow and I blushed deeper.