(third year) Ch. 27 The Knife

(I'm so sorry that this is so late, but to make it up I'm planning on three chapters in the next couple of days)

The first few days back from break were a mess. Not only did mam start almost sobbing when Fergus gave me a hug goodbye before finding his own compartment ("You two are finally friends! Thank Merlin. I thought I'd have to deal with you two hating each other all summer!") but everyone was on edge since there had been a rumor floating around that dementors would be checking the train again. While I went to find Dean, who I had met on the platform earlier and he told me which compartment he would be in, I ran into Parvati of all people.

"Hi! Seamus!" She rushed over to me, squeezing by people in the tiny hallway. "Seamus!"

"Hey Parvati, how was your break?"

"Oh! It was good! Good. So um, did you get my letter?"

It took me a few moments to remember what letter she was referring to. "I did."

"Good. Just don't tell her, right?"

"I swear on my life."

"Great!" Parvati grinned.

~~~

Most of January was bleak and uneventful. I took a few more lessons with Professor Lupin, but nothing seemed to be helping at all. Classes continued to drag on and it seemed like the only thing I had to look forward to was sleeping.

One night, and to be honest I don't remember when it was, I was awoken by a loud piercing scream that made the entire dorm shudder.

"What happened!!!" Voices shouted out from the dark and the noises of the rest of Gryffindor waking up could be heard through the door.

There was a great deal of fumbling and cursing before Dean managed to light a lantern. The light cut through the darkness to reveal Ron, his face pale as a sheet and whimpering. We all rushed to his cowering form wondering what the hell was going on.

"What happened?!" Harry pushed his way to the front and questioned his friend.

Ron's breathing was shaky and his eyes frantically searched the room. The bed hangings were torn from the bed and the sheet had been cut.

"Siri- Sirius"

"Spit it out!"

"Sirius Black! Here, with a knife!"

"What?!"

"Sure you weren't dreaming?" Harry asked cautiously.

"Of course I am! Look at the sheets! He cut them!"

At that moment we all bolted. People were streaming out of their dorms, yawning with sleep and questioning us as we sprinted down the stairs.

"Who yelled?"

"What's happened?"

"Did someone get hurt?"

All of Gryffindor stood in the Common Room, too confused to do much more than just stand there. Harry, Ron, Dean, Neville and I stood panting and frightened as McGonagall came in through the portrait hole.

"Parties are allowed but it is nearly two in the morning! What are you all doing up at this hour?"

"Please Professor," Ron pushed his way to the front of the crowd, still out of breath. "In the dorm - he was - he was"

"For Merlin's sake Weasley! Who was in the dorm?"

"Sirius Black!" Everyone fell silent as the words sunk in.