Bonus: The News

(Yay, writer's block I hate you! Have fun reading this short bonus chapter.)

I had only been at Hogwarts a few weeks and things were going great. I had friends, I was doing well in classes, and I was enjoying it. Never thought I would say that about school.

It didn't seem like anything would go wrong, but of course I had to say that and things did.

I was eating breakfast, finishing Seamus' Charms homework (hey, he was sick). Normally I never got letters because my mum couldn't figure out how to send things by owl but she made an exception that day. An owl that I had never seen before dropped in front of me and started to peck at my hands.

"Hey! Who's owl is this?"

Ron pointed to a letter that I hadn't noticed tied to its leg. "I think that letter's for you."

Nobody in the magical world would send me letters and nobody in the muggle work would know how. Yet, I recognized my mother's neat scrawl.

Dear Dean,
I'm sorry that I have to tell you like this, I would much rather tell you in person but that is not an option right now. You see, I am getting married next month. His name is Jacob and I really care for him. You may not like this, I probably wouldn't if I were in your shoes, but you have to understand that he is kind and makes me happy. Don't be too mad. I'll see you at Christmas.
Mum

I was in shock. I sat there for five minutes just staring at the envelope. Neville might have tried to shake me out of my shock but I didn't notice. My mum was getting married! To a guy I never even met! I knew that I should be happy for her, I mean as long as he makes her happy. But I was just angry and felt betrayed.

"Dean what's wrong?" Neville, Ron, and Harry were looking at me with concern.

"N-Nothing," I lied, "just a letter from home."

My mind was racing with a million and one thoughts. I ran out of the Great Hall, not caring about the strange looks I was getting, and hid in the dormitory.

Mum was getting married! To some man named Jacob who I didn't know anything about. I was just freaking out for nothing, it's not like it would effect me greatly. But what if he hurt her like my dad did? What if he leaves her?

The day went by in a blur of panic and failed attempts to stop hyperventilating. When I heard the rest of the house coming back after dinner, I thought that I would be questioned until I broke down in tears. Surprisingly, only Seamus was the one who approached me.

"Dean, mate, where have you been?" Seamus' eyes were filled with so much concern that I almost spit out my pathetic problem right away.

"Oh, hey Seamus. I was just catching up on homework."

"Come on," Seamus sat down next to me, "we both know that you've had your homework done for two days. You missed all of your classes, are you okay?"

"It's complicated." I mumbled.

Seamus looked at me exasperated. "Complicated? What do you mean 'it's complicated'?"

"I just don't feel like talking about it."

"Ok then. Well, I'll leave you alone to your studying. G'night mate."

"Night."

I knew that I had really annoyed Seamus. Up until then we had told each other everything, from embarrassing secrets to crazy events that happened when we were young. But I didn't care much at the time. Some problems you just had to keep to yourself, even from your only friend since you were young.

When I finally told Seamus about the letter, he didn't ridicule me and say that I was pathetic to worry. He reassured me that thing would turn out alright. It didn't make me fell all the way better, but my panic turned only into worry.