Chapter 29: Ethan, Part 2 [Special]

Start from the beginning

Not bad for being seven months pregnant and on the verge of losing my shit at everyone here.

The attack created an energy shockwave and sent Father flying a few metres before he dug his feet into the ground to stop his momentum. He looked at me with his signature parental 'look of disapproval', but I couldn't care less than I already did. In fact, this is probably the first time that I've felt honoured to earn his disdain. 

I glanced behind me at Ethan while keeping my heightened senses trained in front of me so Father wouldn't get us by surprise again with his insane speed. 

"How are you holding?", I asked him.

"Don't...mind...me", again he can barely talk, "I...I got this." He lifts his head and smiles at me, sweat dripping profusely from his brow.

I rolled my eyes. Just admit you're way over your head already! I thought to myself. But seriously, he doesn't look good at all. If he continues using any magic, he's going to collapse and die slowly.

"Idiot", I spoke instead of mentally scolding him.

"But I'm the idiot you love", he regains his composure with a smile.

I blush a bit and breathe heavily, pretending I didn't hear him. I look to Father.

"Sayuri, if you think I'm above hurting you, you will be gravely mistaken", he looks at me venomously.

"I'm well aware. I still have the scars to prove what you'll do to your own."

"Not going to lie, that is pretty fucked up", Ethan comments as if he didn't already know. I wish he would hold his tongue for once. Ethan raises to his feet and walks around me. "Not exactly father of the year, are you? I can only imagine you'll be a shittier grandfather."

"Tsk. You dare lecture me, boy? No self-respecting demon of high rank would acknowledge a child born of both a demon and a human to be one of theirs...and vice versa. I thought Sayuri of all people would understand that, but clearly, I've failed as a parent."

"Well, at least that's something we can agree on, Pops", Ethan takes a fighting stance and charges both his hands with white magical energy.

Ethan, he can't be serious. 

Father chuckles, "You're at death's door and still have the disgusting gall to challenge me with what pitiful magic you have left?"

"To my last dying breath, Pops", Ethan smiles as if he's won, but his body is shaking terribly. He's in far too much pain.

"Then so it will be...", the darkness in Father's eyes intensifies. 

"Ethan, stop!" I shouted.

Everything is speeding up around me. In a matter of seconds, everything turns into a blinding light.

...

...

__________________________________________

Present Day

Yuna

...

I'm not sure what happened but I opened my eyes, glancing down to find myself lying in a bed and covered in a blanket. The room I'm in is strikingly familiar. 

"Finally awake, I see", someone spoke. It took me a few seconds to realize it was Grandfather Ito's voice. I turned my head and looked at him. He was sitting on a chair beside the bed, holding a book in his hands. Looking at the illustrated cover art, I easily recognized it as manga.

"Grandfather...", I said weakly. Right now my heart is racing immensely, not because I was scared of the man before me, but because I could still feel the intense weight of the battle from my mother's memory. It really felt like I was actually there.