Pet Fret

As usual the exams were held the month before school ended and despite nearly her entire focus being on the werewolf cure Mirabel was still prepared for them. She easily aced potions, if the scowl on Snape's face was anything to go by, passed the dark arts obstacle course with only a small bit of hindrance when she got to the bogart, passed muggle studies with flying colours, charms, transfiguration, everything she passed easily, even divination because she always got her predictions right. Trewlany loose her some points though because Mirabel was making the things she said happen.

They had also won against Ravenclaw in the final game scoring Gryffindor the Quidditch cup for the first time since Ron's oldest brother went to Hogwarts. Despite the fact they nearly lost because Harry was ogling the Ravenclaw seeker Cho Chang.

"We need to celebrate with Hagrid!" Mirabel insists to her friends as they exited their last exam. Harry was looking a little pale, but Mirabel guesses that he was just nervous from the divinations exam with professor Trewlany. "That does sound quite nice," Hermione agrees. She had bags under her eyes from all the studying she had been doing and looked like she could really use a break.

"How about we go down to Hagrid's?" Mirabel suggests. Their newly dubbed professor had been in a bit of a down mood lately and wasn't in class today. The four of them had assumed he had the flu or something.

"Sorry, but I'm too busy trying to find Scabbers, I'll be lucky if I don't find him in that beast Hermione insists on keeping," Ron said. Hermione's huffs indignantly. "Crookshanks would never!" She states stomping her foot. "And besides with all the owls around here I'm surprised he hasn't been eaten already," Mirabel comments and doesn't pick up on the terrified expression on Ron's face.

They headed down the stairs and outside passing Draco's crowd of cronies. "Hey Mira! Want to hangout? You know as a reward for helping me ace my exams," Draco calls to the Columbian girl. She gives him a smile and said. "Maybe later Draco I need to go check on Hagrid and make sure he's okay," Mirabel explains as she kept walking with the others. Draco's crownies began giggling at the mention of Hagrid, but a glare from him made them quiet.

The quartet walks down the steps and arrived at Hagrid's cabin. Mirabel knocked on the door to the cabin with a melody and waited... and waited... and waited.

"Maybe he's not home?" Ron suggests. "Than where was he all day?" Harry asks. "Over there," All heads turned at Hermione's instruction.

Hagrid was over by the lake skipping rocks but he was mostly just throwing them into the water. He wore this odd nice suit with a large yellow tie with coloured polka dots that looked like he bought it from a clown. The four of them walked over and Harry asks.

"Hagrid? Are you okay?" He asks concerned. Hagrid looks at them and there were red puffy eyes on his face like he had been crying heavily. "Hagrid what's wrong?" Hermione asks walking up to him closer. "It's Buck Beak *sob* they decided they're going to kill him," Hagrid said as he cries. "What!? Since when?" Mirabel exclaims in a outrage. "Today, I prepared everything to plead the case. They're all cowards though, too scared of Malfoy," he sobs sitting down on a large rock. "That's not fair!" Ron states outraged. "And besides Mirabel didn't blame you and it was Draco's fault anyway!" Harry stated in a similar outrage. "Why didn't you tell us? We could have helped," Mirabel stated.

They couldn't kill Buck Beak. The hippogriff was a amazing animal and so was Buck Beak. "Didn't want to worry yee with all your doing," Hagrid said. "Hagrid," Hermione and Mirabel both give him a large hug. "I can't believe this! You told Draco to drop it right Mira?" Harry asks his friend who nodded so fast her glasses almost fell off.

"I did!" She exclaims. "But Draco had already told his father and I guess his dad just," Mirabel tries to defend him. "Given it a rest Mira Draco's a jerk and now that's going to get a innocent creature killed," Hermione states.

Mirabel looks torn as she looks at Hagrid, but also the want to defend her friend. "This is his father's doing not his," She said quietly. "The little lass is right. It was that good for nothing Lucious! They said they'll stop by the school at the end of the week to reconsider, but they're still going to bring a executioner," Hagrid said. "But that means they've already decided!" Hermione states and Hagrid burst into more tears.

Quickly they all hugged him trying to make him feel better, but they knew nothing would.

Time Skip

Mirabel was down in the potions lab again later that day. She needed a escape to get her mind off of Buck Beak because she can't do anything until they arrive at the end of the week.

She was hard at work on her latest possible cure. It had the same ingredients as a wolfs bane potion with a little extra here and there, moonshine seeds, a few werewolf hairs from Lupin, a drop of his blood, made while Mirabel summoned a charm that mimicked the suns rays, stirred exactly thirty times, than boiled in a large cup made from pure silver.

This was her fourteenth attempt at a cure. She had used the science set Ron had given her and showed her how to use to create the batches and despite Snape outright laughing at her she found the tools to actually be very helpful, especially the safety parts because she always wore goggles, gloves, and a mask over her face for extra protection. She did not want one of her attempts turning herself into a werewolf no sir. The microscope was also very useful because when she used a drop of blood and than summoned beams of moonlight making it turn black, she was able to watch much better than before if it had any effect and if it was getting close. She did have a few duds that had no effect, some had little effect, and one caused the droplet of blood to steam and shrivel up into nothing. If you looked in her journal you would see all of her duds scribbled out with varying degrees of annoyance.

There was only a month left in the school year and Snape had actually been seen smiling around the school as the deadline drew near. Mirabel was a hundred percent sure he knew about Lupin, but didn't tell anyone for some reason, she's guessing Dumbledore told him not too.

With a huff of exhaustion Mirabel turns off the burner underneath her potion and took out her two sucky liquid things and than used one of them to take a drop of Lupin's blood from the vial she had. She had to refill it a few times, but to her luck Lupin never caught on to what she was doing when she stayed behind to ask him questions about the homework he assigned.

She puts the drop on a piece of class and put it under the microscope. Mirabel summons her moon beams and watches as the drop turns a inky black. She then used the other sucky squeeze thing and took a drop of her possible cure. Carefully she looks under the microscope as she dropped it on the blood sample.

The blood ripples and after a few moments red splotches started appearing. Mirabel's eyes widened and she watches in excitement as the drop turned red again even in the moonlight of her spell. Mirabel looks up from her microscope, than back at the droplet and her heart soared.

"Yes!" She cheers to herself fist bumping the air. She had done it! She had done it! Quickly though she calms herself down and decides she needs to be sure. Taking a new drop of blood she takes away the moon beams and takes another drop of the potion and applies it to a normal red droplet.

She waits a moment before she summons the moon beams and too her confusion it turned black. "Huh?" She does a new one while activated and she watches as it becomes red again. She's confused for several long minutes when suddenly the answer came to her.

"It only works while he's transformed," She realizes out loud.

It was several long silent minutes when she suddenly lets loose every single string of Spanish curse words she'd learned from her Tia Pepa and Tio Felix.