Part 31 - Secrets

You can read minds.

You feel your jaw drop, in shock. Your knees start to shake and you collapse to the floor. Your entire world feels like it has gone upside down. 

You can read minds. You can read minds. What?

Camilo voices your thoughts. "What does this mean?"

You shrug. He crouches beside you, his hand sliding up your jawline as he hugs you close. "Did my father know, and never tell me? When did I first get my telepathy? What?"

"We've got a lot of questions, conejita. We have to wait a bit to get answers." But even though your logic is screaming that you should listen, your emotions crumble along with the safety of your world. 

"I don't want to wait. I'm done waiting, done with this being a ball of yarn to unravel, a puzzle with lost pieces we keep finding. I want the full picture." Camilo tightens the arm around you, pulling you with him as he stands. The starlight reflecting everywhere no longer seems like a blessing. It's just another spotlight for you to stand under. You push away from Camilo. 

"Come on, y/n. Let's go back and talk to your dad," Camilo pleads, attempting to put his arm over your shoulder again.

"No." The word slices through the air like a knife. "No one trusted me. Not even my own father. What's going to happen now that they know I can read minds? No one will trust me. I'll be that girl that will jeopardize everyone's secrets." Camilo shakes his head.

"No. No one will think that."

"You're wrong," you insist. "Everyone will think that. Even you think that right now."

Camilo takes a small step back. "Are you reading my mind?" he asks you slowly, with a hint of suspicion in his words.

"See. Not even you trust me," you accuse him.

"Are you reading my mind, y/n." This time it wasn't a gentle question. It was a harsh demand.

"No! But you wouldn't trust me anyway." Ignoring Camilo's protests, you run back to the village, hiding your tears behind a look of concentration. The one person you thought trusted you, the only person, didn't. Not even Camilo.

Not even Camilo.

You fling open the door to your house, ignoring the looks from the neighbors and other loitering villagers. Your mother attempts to reason with you. "Mija, what's wrong? Did Camilo say something? Did you find something out?"

You push past her and run up to your room. Remembering your past mistakes, you close and lock the balcony door as you lie down on your bed. You have no desire to do anything but lie there until someone orders you to get up. You don't want to think about anything. 

The sound of voices drifts up the staircase and into your room. You block them out, but not before hearing a familiar voice. Camilo. You attempt to block any thought of him as you blocked his voice, but to no avail. Camilo's face and soft look keep popping up. Voices raise through your blocking. "I'm her boyfriend!" Camilo yells.

"And I'm her father!" Another familiar voice adds. You hear the sound of footsteps. 

"I don't trust either of you with her right now. It's best for me to try." A light knock. "Mija?" the same voice asks you gently. 

"I don't want to talk."

Your mother sighs. "That's alright. I'll go. Do you want to talk to your father or Camilo?"

"No."

"Okay, dear. Camilo told us something had happened, and that you didn't think we would trust you. I want you to know that I will always trust you, no matter what. I am your mother."

Those soft words calm your restless, aching heart. "Thank you, Mami."

You close your eyes and drift off into a sleep, a sleep that would carry you closer to the seeker.

-.-.-.-.-.-

Six days left until everything explodes. Six days left of somewhat peace. You sit up and ponder this for a moment. Three days ago, you would have been freaking out if you found out you only had six days before everything could go wrong. But now, with the telepathy incident and you realizing no one trusted you, you realize that the seeker isn't your only problem, nor is he your most pressing. You realize that you can't keep your telepathy a secret. Not if you want any hope of someone trusting you. You go downstairs, feeling like a solider walking into battle.

"Mama? Papa?" you ask quietly. Footsteps. Your mother appears in front of you, with your father closely behind her. 

"Yes, mija?" your mother asks. You sit down.

"I need to talk."

Your father sighs. "You've discovered one of your powers, right?"

Your eyes widen in surprise, your heart starting to beat twice it's usual pace. "How did you know?"

"I've known for awhile that your powers would become more pressing at the age of 14. I was waiting."

You tug on your hair, sitting down. Your father sits down as well, and your mother shortly follows. "I'm confused."

"So am I," says your mother, focusing on your father. "Care to explain?"

Your father sighs. "Women," he mutters. After seeing your mother's glare, he raises his hands in the air. "Geez, I'm sorry. Alright. I don't know too much about how it works, but you have a certain scar, correct?" 

You nod, glancing down at your arm. "Yeah, so?"

"Do you remember how it got there?" You shake your head. "Thought so. You were born with it. It is an ancient carving, a carving that represents power. I'm assuming you got your power the same way the Madrigals did; something sparked it. I don't know what or how. Anyways, your tío warned me that around the age of fourteen, your powers would be ready. You'd be able to use them. How, might I ask, did you discover your power or powers?"

"One power. Telepathy. Camilo and I joked that maybe I had telepathy or teleportation or something, because of something Juan told us. And no, I'm not telling you what it was. Anyway, I pretended to try to enter Camilo's mind, and it suddenly did. I heard his thoughts."

Your father whistles. "Crazy luck. Anyway, your tío told me you'd have at least more then one. Mija, you are destined to do something either great, or terrible. That's all I know. I know one other thing, but you need to prepare yourself."

You take a deep breath, mentally preparing yourself for anything to come. But nothing could have prepared you for the words you heard next.

"You're immortal, y/n."