Part 3 - A Secret Meeting

"Meet me tonight, at the stream you went to for the picnic. Be there, conejita."

Your first thought was simple: no. Absolutely not. Never ever. No.

But part of you wanted to go.

Even though every ounce of logic you had was telling you no, that tiny part of you wanted to go.

So you went.

You didn't have a lantern. So you stumbled around in the dark. Your eyes finally adjusted to the dark. And here you are now.

"I didn't think you would show," says a voice. You turn around and jump. It is a boy, but not Camilo. For a moment, you are scared, but then regain your senses.

"Camilo?"

"Sì, conejita," he says while nodding. He his some superior smirk on his face as he shapeshifts back into himself.

"Why did you tell me to come?"

Camilo raises an eyebrow. "Eat this," he says while handing you an arepa. You glance at it nervously. "Hey, it's not going to hurt you. Its Julieta's."

After seeing the look you give him, he bows his head, "I'm not going to put anything in your food after what happened earlier, I promise."

You hesitate, but eat it. You instantly feel much better, and more energetic. You look quizzically at him.

"Geez, conejita, I'm not that bad! I wanted to make sure you were okay."

You don't fully believe it, but nod. "What do you want Camilo?" you ask him. He smirks again.

"So, have you thought about my offer earlier?" he says mischievously. You glare at him. Before you can answer, you hear a large bang.

"What was that?" you ask. Camilo shrugs.

"Probably nothing to worry about, conejita," he says, but his tone of voice counteracts his words.

"I'm going to investigate," you say bravely.

"Without a lantern?" Camilo laughs. You glare at him.

"I'm going," you say stubbornly. Camilo shrugs.

"Okay, I'm coming."

The two of you walk in silence towards the direction of the bang. You reach a mysterious cave. Camilo holds the lantern in front of the two of you. You slowly approach the cave. Lantern in front of you, you tiptoe into the cave. Camilo sighs, "I wouldn't do that if I were you."

"You're obviously not me," you retort. Camilo shrugs again.

"Suit yourself."

"Are you coming?"

"I suppose," Camilo says dramatically. You resist the urge to laugh. The two of you walk further into the cave. You see a faint blue glow. Running towards it, you realize that the glow is coming from the rock.

"What-?" you mutter. It is a strange marking, that looks like an infinity sign. You touch it.

You immediately know you shouldn't have done that. As soon as your finger makes contact with the rock, it glows a bright blue. Your arm starts to hurt. You look down at it. A scar on your arm, the one you got when you were little, is glowing the same bright blue as the rock.

And then the pain kicks in. It feels like it is on fire. You gasp in pain, crumpling to the ground. Camilo notices your arm. He digs in his bag.

"Here," he says. Camilo hands you one of Julieta's arepas. You eat it, but it doesn't make your arm better. In fact, it makes it worse. "We need to get out of here," Camilo says, looking around. You agree, and the two of you turn around. But to your surprise, the way out is blocked.

"It wasn't blocked before," you say. Camilo smiles.

"Guess you're stuck with me, conejita."

"You wish," you grumble. You try to push the boulder out of the way. It doesn't budge.

"It's not going to work," Camilo says, half amused. You push it again. The rock glows blue. It moves out of the way.

Camilo looks shocked. "Not going to work, eh?" you say smugly. Camilo stares at you.

"How-?" he asks. You shrug.

The two of you run out of the cave. You walk back to the Casa Madrigal together.

"Night," Camilo says, playing with his curly hair. You look him straight in the eye.

"Tell no one."

"Okay," is all you get as a response. "What about Dolores?" Camilo adds.

"Let's hope she's not awake. If she is, come up with an excuse, or make her promise to not tell anyone."

"Okay. Bye, conejita."

You groan and walk back to your house. You quietly open the door, and slip inside. You sneak quietly up the stairs. Just as you are about to open your door, you feel a tap on your shoulder.       

You flinch.

"Where were you, y/n?"