Part 2 - The Picnic

"See ya, conejita."

After what happened last week, you didn't want to go back to Casita. But Mirabel dragged you.

"Come on! I promise Camilo won't bother you," she would plead. You finally gave in. The two of you were going to go on a picnic. You, however, had to stop by at la Casita, to pick up Mirabel.

You knock on the door. Mirabel opens it, but you are suspicious.

"Camilo?" you ask. Mirabel laughs.

"Nope. Not this time," she says. You believe her. "I'll go grab the basket," Mirabel explains. You nod and wait for her in the courtyard. You suddenly feel a look burning your back.

"What do you want Camilo?" you groan, turning around to face him.

Camilo smirks, "You, conejita."

You glare at him, trying not to blush. You won't give him that satisfaction. Mirabel runs into the room. "Ah, Camilo, shoo!" she exclaims, shooing Camilo with her hands. He laughs as he swiftly turns the corner. Mirabel groans, "Sorry about him."

"It's fine. Let's go," you respond, smiling.

But you can't stop thinking about Camilo on the way to the picnic.

"We're here!" exclaims Mirabel. You are standing in front of a little stream. Mirabel opens the picnic basket, and lays out a blanket. You sit down.

"Is Camilo always that annoying?" you ask casually. Mirabel laughs. She starts to unpack the food, courtesy of her mother.

"Yep. You get used to it, and he never does it to be rude."

You start eating. After one arepa, you start to feel sick. Mirabel looks worried. "Are you okay?" she asks. Mirabel gasps. "The arepas are supposed to heal you!" she screams, as your face turns pale.

"Maybe I should eat another one?" you suggest. Mirabel nods, and you shove another arepa into your mouth. That just makes it worse. Mirabel quickly packs up the picnic, and the two of you head towards Casita. Mirabel puts her arm around you until you reach the encanto, where Luisa sees the two of you.

"What-?" she starts, lifting you up. Luisa carries you into Casita, putting you down on one of the beds in the nursery. You lie there and groan. "I'll get Mama." Luisa says, leaving the room.

A few minutes after Luisa left, the door opens again. This time, it is Dolores and Camilo. Dolores looks worried. "I heard everything," she says, running towards you. Camilo's face is pale. The door opens again, with Luisa and Julieta. Julieta rushes over to you, and feeds you so quickly, you can't even tell what it was.

You start to feel better. "Your face isn't pale anymore," says Julieta. "What happened?"

Camilo looks sheepish, and you see it. He starts to talk, but before he can, Dolores interrupts, "I thought I heard that sometimes arepa doesn't sit well with y/n," she says. Julieta nods.

"Call me if you need anything. And, y/n, you should get home."

You nod as Julieta leaves the room. As soon as she leaves, all eyes turn on Camilo. "What?" he says, regaining some of his strength after he sees you are alright.

"You poisoned her!" accuses Mirabel. Camilo quickly shakes his head.

"I swear, I didn't."

"Then what did you do?"

"I.. I put some guindilla in the arepas. I thought it would be a nice surprise."

You feel like crying. "I'm allergic to guindilla," you say.

"I didn't know that. I'm sorry," Camilo replies. Everyone in the room groans, but gets back to their daily routines. Mirabel helps you up.

"Next time, you prepare the picnic," she says quietly. You nod as she helps you get up.

Just as you leave the room, you see Camilo. He has a look on his face. He quickly looks away. He whispers into your ear.

"Meet me tonight, at the stream you went to for the picnic. Be there, conejita."