Part 15 - Caves and Cliffs

"I forgive you. Tomorrow, let's continue the search. For Mirabel." 

You fall asleep leaning on Camilo's arm. When you wake up in the morning, Camilo is lying right next to you. You gasp and retract your body. Camilo sits up. "Sorry," he mumbles, turning bright red. You smile silently, leaning back on him. He closes his eyes peacefully. 

Someone knocks on the door. The door flies open. It is your mother. She smiles at Camilo. "Mija," she says quietly, "Your father is waking up. You might want to get him out of here." You nod and shoo her out. Camilo smiles at you.

"Nice mom."

You grin. Camilo lies back on your bed. "Hey, didn't you hear my mom?"

Camilo smiles, closing his eyes. "Give me a moment," he says. You flop yourself behind him. Camilo extends an arm. You roll onto it. "Ouch," Camilo says in a fake tone. You giggle. With the arm, he pulls you on top of him. One heck of an arm, you think to yourself. Camilo grins mischievously. He pulls you closer.

"Camilo?" you ask. Camilo pushes his lips against yours. You quiet in peaceful bliss. Camilo rolls to the side, shifting his body so he is on top of you. "Camilo," you whisper, "You heard my mom. You gotta get out!"

Camilo sighs. "Make up an excuse. Meet me at the creek in fifteen minutes." You nod. After Camilo leaves, you trudge slowly downstairs. No parents to be seen. You head towards the door.

"I'm going to the market," you call over your shoulder. You turn to see a figure blocking the doorway.

"Mija, I can't let you do that." Your father shepherds you to the sofa. "You can't be near the Madrigals!"

"Papa," you groan, "Please! You know I didn't make Mirabel disappear."

"I know, mija. It's for the best for all of us that you don't leave the house, and don't go near that boy."

"Why! What do you mean?"

Your father sighs slowly. "The prophecy, y/n. You aren't safe."

You gasp. "How do you know about the prophecy? Do you know what it means?"

Your father nods. "That's why I can't let you go, mija. I'll explain it if you want."

You nod, an idea popping to your head. "Give me some time to think." you request. Your father nods. Believing you to be intrigued, he leaves you alone on the main floor. You tiptoe to the door, quietly opening it and closing it behind you. You start sprinting in the direction of the creek. Once you are a safe distance from your home, you stop to gather your breath. 

"Conejita," someone whispers. They envelop you in a cloak.

"Camilo," you say, turning to see Camilo, wearing a similar cloak. The two of you stop at the creek. "The cave is open," you say. Your scar glows. "I think it wants us to go in." 

Camilo nods. You slowly step into the open cave. Once you feel that it is safe, you gesture for Camilo to follow. He lightly steps into the cave. The two of you travel down a long tunnel. You reach a small cliff-like end. "Down?" Camilo asks. You shrug. Camilo shapeshifts into Luisa and jumps down. He shifts back into himself.

"Catch!" you call, jumping down. Camilo catches you. He turns around and gawks at the long, crystal cavern. Something glints in your peripheral view. You turn to examine a sharp blade in the side of a rock. "Camilo? You should see this."

But when you turn, two Camilos stare back at you. "Which one is the real Camilo?" an eerie voice calls.

You stare blankly.

You can't tell who is who. And you have a feeling that your answer determines both life and death for you and Camilo. It determines everything.

______________________

Author's Note:

Sorry! I was so sick I could barely move, but I promise that the next chapters will be juicy and posted regularly. Thank you for reading!