Part 13 - So... I didn't die?

The last sound you hear is Camilo crying.

You slowly open your eyes. Your breathing is ragged, and you feel immense pain from your chest.

"Y/n, mija!" you hear your mother exclaim. You turn your head to look at her. 

"Mama?" you ask. She smiles her warmest smile. You return it.

Your father is staring at you. "We thought you gone," he confesses. You feel a tears threaten to slip from your eyes. 

"Where's Camilo?" you ask. Your mother looks at you.

"Do you want me to go get him, mija?" she asks you. You quietly nod. She smiles and stands up, beckoning for your father to follow. 

A few minutes after they leave, the door quietly opens. A boy slips in. Camilo. "Y/n?" he asks. You notice his eyes are red, presumably from crying. His curls frame his worried face. You instantly feel relief, knowing his is fine.

"Camilo?" you ask. Camilo hugs you. His hand briefly touches your wound. You gasp in pain.

"I though Julieta fixed it?" Camilo mutters. You shrug.

"It doesn't hurt as much." Dismissing the subject, you adjust your sitting position. "What happened?"

Camilo shakes his head, "No, conejita." But seeing the look on your face, he sighs. "Fine. After you passed out, I struggled with you back to Casita. I thought you were dead. You were hardly breathing. When I got back, everyone was so worried. They kept asking me why we were out there, and what happened. I couldn't tell them, so I lied. I told them that we were going on a date, when a mysterious cloaked figure stabbed you. Who did  stab you?"

You sigh, "My tío." Camilo gasps.

"Really?"

"Continue with the story, please."

"Aii, fine. Anyway, Julieta gave you an arepa, blah blah blah, but you stayed unconscious. I-we thought Julieta was too late. I blamed myself. Then you woke up."

"How long was I asleep for?" 

"Four days."

Four days? No wonder he cried so much. You attempt to calm yourself, but Camilo sees your distress. "Camilo," you start, tears burning the back of your eyes. Camilo puts a finger to your lips. 

"Shh," he whispers. You lean forward. 

Your lips meet his. Your body gives a little start. You feel at rest. Giddy. Happy.

This is  what love feels like.

Camilo pauses to admire the look on your face. He runs his fingers through your hair. "You are the greatest gift a Madrigal could wish for."

Camilo resumes kissing you. He ruffles your hair. Your heart beats like a drum being played by a violent drummer.

You wish it could stay like this forever.

But part of you knows it's only going to get worse. Until you stop the seeker.

And you have no idea how to do that.