Part 30 - Detective Work

Now you need to convince yourself.

"Seven days," you tell yourself. "Seven days left."

After throwing on a traditional Columbian dress, you run out into the market. Barriers have been put up, safehouses created, traps set. Everything was ready. You had one week left.

Ignoring stares from the villagers, you run over to Casita. "Hola, Casita." 

"Hola, conejita."

You groan and turn around. "Hey, Camilo."

"Hey. So, are we off?"

You study Camilo. His face, his ruana. Perfect. You love Camilo. 

Blinking twice, you nod. Camilo leads you down a path. "So," he says, "Basically, when we got back, people were talking. Saying that Juan should be kicked out. Right now he's under - what do I call it? -  guard."

"Guard? Juan saved all of us!"

"Not really. The candle's still shaky. We're not supposed to use our powers unless we absolutely have to."

You shake your head. "I'm sorry, Camilo. My plan was reckless."

"Eh," Camilo says offhandedly. "I like reckless girls."

You feel your face start to turn red, and look away. Camilo smirks. The smug look on his face makes your heart do a weird fluttery thing. Almost like a somersault. "So," you say, "Subject change. How long is Juan going to be under guard?"

"Dunno," replies Camilo. "But you can't get away from me that easily."

You grin. The two of you stop at a small, cottage-like shack. Camilo knocks on the door. The sound of locks opening reaches your ears. It makes you uneasy. Juan isn't the bad guy. If they are doing this to the good guys, what's going to happen to the bad guys? 

Camilo puts a hand on your shoulder as the door opens. It reveals a middle-aged man, whom you recognize as Señor Días, the woodworker. "Ah, señor Madrigal. Señorita l/n." he says courteously. You smile and bow your head. Señor Días moves to let you and Camilo enter the room. The outside may look shabby, but the inside feels cozy and warm. You notice Juan sitting on the couch with his family, the warm smell of Carimañola filling the room. Juan looks up at you, his hard glare turning soft. Juan's mother stands up and hugs you. 

"I am so sorry. I had no idea that my son-" she whispers, not finishing her sentence. You nod, feeling tears in your eyes, and hug her back. 

When the hug finishes, you blink back your tears and construct your face into a look of determination. "Alright. I do not mean this in a hurtful way at all. In fact, I believe you had nothing to do with all of this. But you might have heard something, picked something up. You never know with these villains. So, I need to question you guys. I'm sorry."

Everyone nods. A small girl runs up to you and tugs your skirt. "Will you cestion me? 'Cause I a good girl, not a bad one," she informs you, her baby voice preventing her from saying 'question' properly. You bend down to be at her level.

"I have to, but if you want, we can play a little game," you suggest. She squeals. Her mother smiles.

"Why don't you go first, Julia." Julia nods. 

"Otay, Mami." Julia follows you and Camilo into the other room. 

"Okay, here's the game. You have to tell me whenever anyone in your family asked you to do something strange, said something strange, talked to someone strange, or anything like that. If it is something valuable, you get a point. We'll see how many points you get by the end."

Julia starts chattering away, and you glance over at Camilo. He grins at you. 

After a few minutes, it's clear that you aren't getting anywhere with Julia. So you start giving her loads of points. Julia's smile grows bigger and bigger. "Alright, I think we're good," you say after what feels like forever. You pull a polvorosas out of your satchel and hand it to the little girl. She smiles. After thanking you, she runs to her mother to show her loot.

Your high spirits start to evaporate during the questionings. You're not getting anywhere. Finally, it's Juan's turn. It starts off the same as all the other questioning. Nothing. 

"Juan, what was Alejandro's plan?" you ask. Juan shrugs. 

"Didn't find out that far. All I know is it has something to do with a special girl, and her equal. They want the girl's powers."

Your eyes widen. "How would they get the powers?"

Juan shrugs. "Alejandro wanted to keep the girl alive, and use this fancy thingy and mix it with the Madrigal power. But he said everyone else wanted the girl dead, because something would be more special. Hey, are you okay?" Juan adds the last bit after noticing the look on your face. You take a deep breath. 

"I'm fine, thank you." After finishing the rest of your questions, you thank the family and leave. You were there all day, you realize. The sky is dark, and the distant light of the village creates a warm glow on the grassy terrain, almost like magma. Camilo stays silent on the way back. "Camilo?" you finally ask as the two of you near the village. "You know what that means, right?"

"Yeah," Camilo responds. He keeps his eyes ahead of the two of you. 

"Camilo?" you ask again. "Did I do something?"

Camilo turns to look at you. "No, y/n, I'm sorry."

"You're worried about me," you say, allowing a smug smirk to control your face. Camilo shrugs, slightly blushing. "It's alright," you say, resting your head on Camilo's shoulder. "I'm your girlfriend, after all."

Camilo puts an arm around your shoulders. "I wonder what powers you have," he says absent-mindedly. You smile. 

"Ooh, maybe I can teleport! Or read minds!" You dramatically stare at Camilo, rubbing your temples. You concentrate hard, adding to your look. You close your eyes shut, hearing Camilo laugh softly.

A rush of words enter your mind. A few of them you can make out. She's adorable when she acts like that. You stumble backwards, gasping. You attempt to hide your concentration along with your surprise. Camilo extends a hand. "You okay?" he asks.

"I just- I just-" you pant, slowly backing away from Camilo.

"Calm down, calm down. Breathe."

You take a deep breath. "I just read your mind."

Camilo freezes. He lets out a nervous laugh. "Funny joke," he says. 

"Not kidding."

"What am I thinking?"

You concentrate and open your mind to Camilo. The words flood back into your mind. Can she actually hear these thoughts? I hope she's alright.

"You're wondering if I'm alright. If I can hear what you're thinking." Camilo takes a step back. His face betrays utter shock.

You can read minds.