Part 17 - Mirabel

Sitting in front of you, with chains around her, is Mirabel.

"Mirabel?" you feel your hand start to shake. Mirabel looks up at you with a tired gaze, barely conscious. You drop to your knees beside her. "Have they been feeding you?" you ask, "Who did this."

Mirabel doesn't move. Her eyes are vacant, glossy. 

"Is she alright?" Camilo asks. You wheel over to face him.

"No! She's not alright!" you scream hysterically, "And it's my fault! I was the one who told her!"

Camilo puts his hands in front of him, in a calming gesture. "Y/n, stop. It's not your fault."

"You're right. It's yours," you say coldly. "You should have stopped me." 

"Hey!" Camilo protests. He takes a deep breath. "It's fine. You're just worried," he says slowly, muttering it to himself. You glare at him and attempt to break Mirabel's chains. Your scar glows, and you double over in pain. Camilo extends a hand, then snaps it back. He grabs a nearby rock, and starts to hack the chains. You close your eyes shut. 

"Camilo," you whisper, in a voice that isn't yours. "You have a choice, you must choose between the two girls. You can only take one of them back before the cave shuts again. You have no way of knowing when it will open again." 

Camilo glances between you and Mirabel. He crouches down beside you. "Camilo," you whisper again, this time as yourself. "Take Mirabel. I'll try to get out of here, but go."

Camilo shakes his head, tears pouring down his eyes. "Is this the final stand?" he asks. You shake your head.

"Final stand would be in battle, I think this is the true meaning to: one shall be lost to the seekers hand. One of us will be lost for real because of the seeker. Just, go, Camilo. Please," you bed. Camilo puts his hand behind your head and kisses you, tears pouring down the both of your faces.

"I will never forget you, conejita." Camilo finishes removing Mirabel's chains, and lifts her up. You feel your consciousness slip. 

"I love you, Camilo."

"I love you too."

Then Camilo is gone, and you know, just know, that there is no use in trying to escape. At least not now. You allow the darkness to swallow you.