08

I press my ears against the door, listening to the sound of the people from beyond it. I hear their footsteps and muffled voices. When I hear the sound of the car engine, I quickly run to my window that looks over the front yard and see the car parked in front of the mansion's entrance. I run back to the door, standing on my toes, I stretch my thin arm, slowly turning the doorknob to peek outside.

I see the maids pacing around, dala ang mga bag at maleta. Abala sila sa pagbababa sa mga ito sa hagdanan at isinasakay sa sasakyang nakaabang sa may pintuan. I slowly push my small body out, taking small steps forward, peeking over the railings.

I see my older brother standing by the door, watching the help load the car with their things. He is wearing a green sweater and a matching scarf, ready for the place where they are headed for the summer. I hold two of the railings, peeking in between them as he looks up at me. Tipid na ngiti ang ginawad niya sa akin when he sees me, raising his hand to wave goodbye pero hindi natuloy dahil hinila na siya ng mommy palabas.

I let out a small breath. With my pajamas on, I slowly descend from the grand staircase, sinusundan ang lahat sa labas. I make my way to the door, watching from the threshold as my brother gets in the car with our mother---his mother, closing the door shut. He looks at me from the window, but looks away nang sinita ng katabing babae.

I watch my dad as he gives the trunk one last check before he finally closes the door shut. He walks around the car, leaving orders to the helpers.

"Bye Daddy," I say in a small voice, looking up at him with wide and hopeful doe eyes, taking a step forward in the hopes that maybe this time I'd get a kiss goodbye, or maybe even just a hug. But he only walks past me, barely giving me a glance as he makes his way to the driver's seat.

"Hindi 'yan pwede lumabas ha," he calls out to the helpers, pointing a finger at me.

I let out a small breath of disappointment, letting gravity drive my shoulders down as I hang my head low.

Iniiwan na naman ako ng pamilya ko.

Malungkot kong tinanaw ang pag-alis ng sasakyan hanggang sa hindi ko na ito makita at naisara na ang gate ng bahay.

"Ces," Nanay Libet gently pulls me by the shoulder, ushering my small body inside the house. Agad siyang lumuhod sa harap ko at iniangat ang baba ko para matingnan ko siya ng diretso. I see the pity in her eyes as she watches the defeat and sadness painted over my face, pero agad niya itong tinago sa likod ng isang mapag-alagang ngiti.

"Ang aga mo naman nagising, anak," the old woman says, the wrinkles in her eyes getting more defined as she smiles. She strokes my messy long brown hair, pinning them behind my ears. "Halika ka, mag breakfast na tayo."

She carries me with her as she stands up, a small grunt as she forces her old and frail body to lift me up, propping me on her hip.

"Uy nandiyan na pala ang prinsesa namin!" bati ni Manong Ador nang nakita kaming papasok sa kusina kung saan sila nakapirmi lahat. "Bakit naman malungkot ang mukha ng magandang batang 'yan?" The old driver takes me from Nanay Libet, tickling my stomach but I don't laugh. I am too sad to feel anything. I just stare at him with my tear glossed eyes.

"Gusto ko sumama sa kanila," I say with a crack in my small voice, my lips morphing into a pout.

"Ay sus, huwag ka ng malungkot. Doon sa pupuntahan nila, malamig. Walang makakapaglaro. Eh dito, magkasama tayong lahat buong summer, araw-araw tayong maglalaro!"

I rub my eye, pinipigilan ang pag-iyak, but a small sob manages to escape from the back of my throat.

"Bakit hindi nila ako sinasama? Hindi ba nila ako mahal?"