the big game

My heart pounded as I trailed up the schools stairs, the corridors were packed with students and chattering. Today was one of the biggest events at my school, and I'm apart of it..

It's Merint Highs first basketball game of the year, we have been training for months. But whenever I think about it I feel nervous, what if I fall down?

My mind shortly then teleported to reality, "Hey!" Cara calls out. I've been getting better at recognising my friends voices now; it's been really helpful. "Hi, c-can we talk?" I stuttered nervously, "Sure! But we only have 6 minutes. What's up?" Cara responds as her grip on the text book she was holding got stronger.

"How about we go somewhere a bit more quiet?" I whisper, "The girls bathroom?" She suggests. "No, what the heck Cara! I'm not a girl." I whisper shouted, "How about just that one corner?" I pointed. Cara takes a peak, "The one where the dodgy kids smoke and vape?!" She chuckled.

"Do u have something better?" I crossed my arms, "Whatever." She agreed. Me and Cara make our way to that 'dodgy corner', trying to make sure no one sees us.

As soon as we arrived Cara spoke, "What is it?". "Can I ask you for advice?" The words slid out of my mouth, "Yeah sure!" Caras attitude changed.

"I've always liked girls for my life but than there is this one boy who make me feel- like I don't know, i-" I said quickly, I then looked at Cara. "Can u talk slower?" She requests, "Ok, what I'm trying to say is that I have always like girls but them there is this boy I think I might have a crush on." I explained.

"Do u think u like those 2 genders, only?" She asks, "Boys and girls?" I questioned. "Yeah." She confirms, "I guess so." I trembled a bit.

"Darryl, I think your bisexual." Cara faltered, "I guess I can deal with that.." I mumbled while staring at my converses. Suddenly the bell rings, "Bye.." We muttered in sync. Shortly after we separated our ways and headed to our next period.

~~~

"Apparently Amy gave Jonathan a handjob in the pool!" I heard the popular girls gossip at the other table, "Amy gave Johnathan in the pool?!" Ant said in disbelief. "I guess she did.." I mumbled as I kept my head down, I felt terrible. "Darryl, are you okay? Has something been upsetting u?" Ant asked with concern as he took a sip of the cafeteria milk.

"I really don't know what to do Ant, I feel lost." I confessed, "What's wrong?" He asked with concern. "I think I'm bisexual." I murmured, "What makes you think that?" Antfrost leans in.

"I like men and woman, well.. For my whole life I've liked woman but then- there is this boy who I think I have a crush on." I explained once again, "Now Darryl, who is this boy?" Antfrost pleaded.

I gulped, terrified. "It better not be velvet, he is mine." Antfrost claims, "It's not him." I muttered. "Than who is it Darryl, I promise I won't tell anyone." He says, "Guess." I murmured.

"Jake?" He guesses, I shake my head side to side. "Zak?" He says, i start to sweat. "It's him isn't it?" Ant questioned, I nod.

"That's alright Darryl, hey I have a plan." He exclaimed, my attention was immediately grabbed by him. Ant then whispers to me his plan, "In tomorrow okay?" He makes sure.

"Okay."

~~~

I sat down on the bleachers, waiting for everyone to arrive. The guys on my team kept staring at the girls on the cheerleading team practice, all of a sudden I heard a conversation come from my right. "I can't believe I used to be friends with Jack and Zak, I mean- what we're they thinking when joining the cheerleading team. That shit is only for hot chicks."

What shit heads.

"BOYS AND GIRLS, PLEASE GO GET CHANGED, PEOPLE WILL BE ARRIVING SOON." Our coach yelled, everyone nods and we grab our bags; shortly after walking to the changing rooms.

~~~

I slid my arms through the sleeves of the red school jersey, "GAMES STARTING!" I heard our coach yell. We all exit the changing rooms to see the cheering of students sitting on the bleachers, our school mascot started dancing and giving out soda.

"MERINT HIGH VS JUGWATER HIGH" Someone screamed out through the speakers, "Go into your assorted spot." One of my teammates whispered to me. I nodded and stood in my spot.

All of the sudden the crowd started to cheer louder, I looked behind me just to see the cheerleaders. They all walked in a straight line.

Shortly after the other team comes along, they all looked strong and mean. They gave us death stares, behind them came their cheerleaders.

"THE GAME STARTS IN, 3 2 1!!" The speaker spoke loudly again, I already started to sweat.

~~~

I scrolled through my phone, I sighed at the thought of losing todays basketball game. It was really upsetting, the coach kept yelling at us. Telling us to get better and we are all hopeless.

I looked over to my bedside table, noticing the box cutter knife. Should I do it? I've been clean for a few days, and it's honestly been great but. I'm the reason why we lost, I should have never tried out for basketball..

Before I could grab the knife someone called me, Zak! Oh my god, I have never picked up a phone so fast.

"Hey Darry!" Zak exclaimed, seeming.. happy? "Hi.." I mumbled, "Are you still upset about losing the basketball game?" Zaky asked in his soft comforting voice. "Yeah.." I fidgeted with my fingers, "It's fine Darryl! Do u want me to come over for a sleepover, I'm really bored.." Zak requested.

"That would be great, it's school holidays right?" I asked, "Yeah it is." He replied. "Okay, goodbye I'll be there in- like 30 minutes." Zak says.

"Bye, I look forward to seeing u." I say with no hesitation

"Bye."

1017 words