Chapter 2

Amanda pov

I made it to the venue early to check on things. So far everything looked great. Our event planner outdid herself, and the decorations look amazing. I was busy sipping on some apple juice as the wonderful guests started arriving. Please note the sarcasm.

Soon after the party was in full swing. The music was loud in the background and the guests looked like they were enjoying themselves. I made my way to Mr. Roots and his wife.

" Congratulations Sir. "

" Oh nonsense dear, this wouldn't have been possible if you hadn't suggested it, " he says pulling me into a hug.

"I would love to take the credit but I wouldn't have been here without you so all the glory goes to you, " I said as he let out a small laugh. 

" Amanda dear where is your date?," Mrs. Roots asked.

I personally never liked her. she always goes out of her way to make me feel uncomfortable. " Uhm I don't have one," I answered looking down at my feet.

I have never been in a relationship and honestly speaking I don't think I can afford to waste time with something so temporary.

"Well, you should stop focusing so much on work and find yourself a nice young man and settle down. " I nodded because I never know what to say to such things. Nona has been looking for potential husbands for me but I'm not ready to engage in anything with a man. I really like my freedom and free time.

We talked a little about work and their kids. Soon I was on my way to the greatest part of any event which was the food. The table was full of dishes from around the world. I picked a nice steak, a spoon of sweet potato, and some pasta and put them on a plate. I'll be back to try the rest later but for now, this will have to do. With a grin on my face, I made it to a table and was about to dig when a heard my name coming from a group of guys nearby.

Curiosity was one of my weaknesses- if I was a cat, I'd probably be dead but that's not the point. I slightly shifted my seat so I could hear better and lean in.

"How old is Amanda?, " The one with dark brown hair said. I think his name is 'Alex' I'm not a hundred percent sure though.

 "Maybe 26...28 there I don't know, " said another

" I'm 25 " I said lowly under my breath. I like seriously Do I look that old?

" I feel sorry for her," Alex said and I frowned at that. "What why?," asked the other

" She was voted mostly to die alone last week and it definitely looks like it," Alex said while taking a sip of his drink as if they were talking about the weather. What ... I am a sensitive person and hearing stuff like this only makes my blood boil and when I am angry I don't know cant even argue because I'll just is cry.

I could already feel my eyes burning with the tears that are begging to come out.

" I heard she is still a virgin from one of the girls," his friend said

"What's wrong with that, " I thought

" I think it's true, I mean she dresses like my mom and those glasses look like the ones my grandma wears and she is 89, " Alex said. I couldn't bear to listen to them anymore so I ran out of the building. Am I really that pathetic? I'm such a fool. I wish my Nona was here. I wish my parents were still alive. I wish I was an entirely different person.

I'm going to die alone. Alone.

I speed-walked down the street and cried my eyes out. I haven't cried since my parents died. I guess they must think I'm weak now as well. I walked until my feet hurt, so I took them off. My anger didn't seem to be decreasing though.

Why did they have to be so rude, not everybody was born with good genes or a great sense of fashion. Some of us like staying in our comfort zone and don't feel the need to impress anybody.

At this point, I was done crying but my anger hasn't entirely disappeared. I looked up to see where I was and saw a bar nearby so I decided to get a drink.

I have never been to a bar before so I hesitated to go in.
But I needed to clear my head. So I held my heels with my index finger and walked in before I could change my mind.

I walked up to the bartender and sat down on the bar stool.

" What can I get for you ma'am," the bartender asked.

" Uhm can I have a glass of orange juice please, " I asked as looked in my purse for my wallet?

" We don't sell that here, it's a bar, not a café, " the bartender said as he laughed at me. I almost cried again because of the embarrassment, but a held myself together.

Once he was done laughing he said " pick something to display. I sighed softly I did not want to embarrass myself further so looked at the display. I had never had alcohol before so I didn't recognize any of the bottles on display. " Give me the brown one," I say lowly. The bartender did just that and gave me a glass.

"Thank you," I said as I took the glass and looked at the brown liquid inside. I brought it up to my nose to smell it. It smelled bad, but I was going to chicken out so I through the glass back and swallowed it. It burned my throat and my stomach. " Another one please, " I said quickly afterward

" I don't think that's wise ma'am," someone said next to me.
I looked up at the handsome man, he wore a black suit that was fitted giving you a preview of his biceps and thick thighs. His face was firm and had a defined jawline.

He was looking down at his drink so I couldn't see his eyes. " Excuse me," I said feeling a boost of confidence.

"Nevermind, " he said harshly as he brought his drink to his full lips.

Looks like someone is having a bad day but there is no need to rude

You know what...fudge that

"Give me whatever he is drinking," I said looking at the bartender giving the most serious face.

He raised a brow " are you sure ma'am," he asked looking concerned.

I nodded my head as turned and gave the man next to me a challenging look.

He looked up and I was faced with the most beautiful amber eyes I have ever seen. But behind the beauty was nothing but void ... He looked almost emotionless as he said " suit yourself,"

" I will," I said glaring at him as I took the new glass and drank it. Stupid comeback I Know.

Holy shit that burns.

But I swallowed it nonetheless and give the man a smirk

"James give me and the lady another round," the man next to me said giving in to my challenge.

"Daniel," the man said as took his newly served drink and brought it to his lips.

"Amanda," I said taking mine.

*****************************************
Hey hunnies ❤️
Don't be a avocado... please vote and comment.