Hazel

I've always been really bad at avoiding people. It's like they seem to follow me even more when I don't want to see them.

The best way to avoid anyone is working. I mean...Adam wouldn't go to Peds for any reason, would he?

I know this is bad. It's really bad. But I panicked! He knows I hate being surprised in front of strangers! He tried doing that when we celebrated my first year of internship and I quickly laughed it off before anyone could realize what was going on.

Then there's the discussion we had about this. Did he not understand that I'm not ready yet? I thought he agreed. I thought we were on the same page.

I guess he didn't get it. What else does he need? Smoke signals?

Gosh. I'm exhausted. I haven't been back to our place in two days and two nights. I try to eat on times when he isn't at the cafeteria but then Dr. Karev asks for a favor and the cafeteria doors close in my face. So I've been surviving from food in vending machines.

Then lunch comes by again. It's third day I'm in here. Dr. Karev comes up to the counter I'm behind on Peds and furrows his brows when he sees me. "Why are you still here?"

I don't respond back and just exchange a look with Wolf. He shrugs and Dr. Karev says, "Go home. I'll get in trouble if I keep you here any longer."

"No!"

"What?"

I clear my throat and do a nervous chuckle. "What I mean is that I prefer to stay here."

Dr. Karev raises his brows in realization. "Ah. I see. You're trying to avoid someone back home. I'm genuinely impressed that you decided to continue working rather than hiding in your car in our parking lot."

"She's a woman of many surprises!" Wolf playfully says.

I roll my eyes at him. "You're not helping."

"Sorry."

"Well at least go get food so you don't faint in front of the kids. If you're gonna do that, do it in Birthing Center. It's normal to faint there."

"I can't get lunch right now, doctor. You see...I have to look after little Alyssa. You know how she gets when lunch time arrives."

"Yes and I also know how women get when lunch time arrives. Go get food. Grow up and face them already."

Dr. Karev leaves without another word and I let out a long sigh. Wolf gently rolls his chair over by my side and says, "I could cover for you. I bet they're not even there."

I check my watch and shake my head. "No. They're there."

"What happened that you're so terrified of seeing them? They haven't hurt you, have they?"

I smile at his concern. "No. Rather I hurt them." Wolf's eyes grow wide at this and I quickly say, "Not that way! I meant...they asked to marry and I said...no..."

Wolf's eyes soften but he still sits back in surprise. "Wow. That's tough."

"I know. And now I can't even look at him."

"You should talk to him." I look over at Wolf and see his gentle smile that makes his hazelnut eyes shine in a childish manner. "I don't think avoiding each other will help either of you."

"You think he's avoiding me?"

"Has he reached out to you yet?" I realize that he hasn't even texted me to see if I'm still alive. My heart shrinks and Wolf can see it. He reaches out to take my hand and give it a warm squeeze. "Hey. If it doesn't help him feel better, at least it'll make you feel better. You will be able to sleep and eat."