Madeline

I giggle as I watch Matthew stand on his wobbly legs. He smiles widely at me and claps. His excitement does not let him see that he can on his face, but I hold him still.

"You're so big!" I say. "What am I going to go with you, silly boy?!"

He understands French. It amuses me. This is probably because my parents talk to him in French since he was in the womb. Then Mateo talks to him in Spanish, too, along with his parents. Matthew will be trilingual at this point.

Oh he's so smart. I can't help but feel pride for my son. Mateo says that he gets it from me. I have to say that it is true.

But I have to thank Hazel if there's anyone that keeps educating him with small things. She's always had a gift with children. My heart melts whenever she arrives and Matthew immediately starts to babble to her as if telling her about his day. It's especially a blast when both Adam and Hazel come to visit together.

Too bad it'll just be Hazel today. I playfully take Matthew in my arms to answer the door. We both smile wide when we see Hazel at the door.

"Hello, my lovelies!" Hazel gives my cheek a quick kiss before taking Matthew from me. As usual, he starts to babble and happily try to kiss her cheek.

"I'm so happy to see you, Hazel. Thank you for visiting. I feel like I barely see you now that you're a second year intern!"

"I've been real busy. I'm not gonna lie." She does a small sigh before putting Matthew in between us on the sofa. "How are you? Motherhood has you insane yet?"

I scoff. "I'm in the middle line of it, dear. At least I deal with one child. You deal with thousands of midgets every day."

Hazel laughs at the way I still call children and shakes her head. "They are all angels. It's better than dealing with people."

"But children are people."

"Madds. There's a difference between children and people."

I laugh at how serious she is about this and shrug. I gently move Matthew closer to Hazel so I can get his baby food. Apparently he only lets me give him baby food if it is grape or peach flavored.

"I thought Mateo would be here."

"He will be here soon. He worked over night." I sit back down with Matthew's favorite bib and start giving him his baby food. He excitedly claps and his eyes shine up at me. I promise myself to always keep that joy in his sweet little face for as long as I breathe.

Hazel seems to yawn as her hand gently runs down Matthew's head. Her eyes carry a small heaviness until they grow wide when I say, "You didn't have to come if you were tired."

"Oh no! I'm fine! I'm always tired anyways."

I return her small smile and change the subject. She hates it when I insist and become aware of her exhaustion. It seems to keep her going if she forgets sometimes. Good thing I'm here to remind her that she needs a break now and then.

"Have you eaten?"

"Yeah. I had soup before getting off of work. Thanks. Do you mind if I do get some water?"

"Please, Hazel. Stop being modest. Mi casa es su casa! Did I say that right?"

Hazel laughs loudly as she goes to the kitchen. "I see Mateo is really teaching you some Spanish. Good! You can finally have more interaction with his parents."

"I try to keep the interaction to the minimum with them. His mother can be...complicated."

"Some people are not so lucky I guess." She gives me a playful smile before taking a drink from her water bottle she got from the fridge.

"Oh so you're lucky?" I give her a teasing smirk and she nearly chokes when she realizes what I mean.

"I am not the one getting married here."

"Perhaps not now. But soon..."

I can't help but giggle when she's left in silence. Her eyes shine as her mind races with so many thoughts. She then sits back on the couch and seems to lower her voice as if my brother is here. "What do you mean by that?"

"You know I joke around with you—"

She is not laughing anymore. She comes closer now that I've brought Matthew closer to my lap. She seems almost nervous as she says, "Something tells me you know something."

I let my smile fall and clear my throat. If I say something, my brother will kill me. He trusted me with this information just like the last time he gave me crucial news. I look away from her burning eyes and shrug. "Does it matter? You love him, don't you?"

"I—"

She hesitates? I keep having to remind myself when either one does something like this. My brother is my brother. But Hazel is my best friend. She is almost like a sister to me. So I don't show the confusion deep inside as she sighs.

"I do love him. But we've been together for six months only. Don't you think it's too soon?"

"What is?"

She rolls her eyes. "You know what."

I furrow my brows at her attitude. Though it seems like something happened. Did he mention marriage to her already that's got her this jumpy?

"When you're with someone you love, time shouldn't matter."

"Easy for you to say. You're getting married out of circumstance."

Oh no she didn't.

I clean up Matthew as he starts to play with his bib. I furrow my brows at her and let my anger steady as I say, "That's rude."

"It's the truth! You got pregnant and now you're getting married!"

"I don't have to get married to him just because I had his child. I chose to marry him because I actually love him. And you don't find yourself sure about that with my brother then I suggest you have a talk with him."

"Okay, but you don't have to get mad," she mumbles.

I can't help but scoff. My blood begins to boil as I say, "You're the one with the rude comments!"

"Rude?! But they're true!"

"I didn't think you of all people would judge me for pregnancy before marriage."

"I'm not judging you, Madeline! It was just a—Never mind. I should shut up before I offend you."

"What is wrong with you? If you were gonna be so cranky than you should've stayed home."

"You're the one getting mad for no reason!"

"How am I not going to get angry if you've hurt me?! But whatever. It is your opinion after all."

Betrayal makes my cheeks warm at the anger running through my veins. I take Matthew to change his diaper and I hear Hazel sigh. I don't understand why she would say such a thing. Did she always think like that of me?

Soon, I hear her softly enter the nursing room and say, "Madds. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. I was just...I'm nervous you know?"

"Why? Has he said anything?" Her silence affirms. "You really need to talk to him. You two need to figure out what you two want and when."

"I know..."

"As much as I love you, Hazel..." I turn around and burn my eyes at hers. She realizes my firmness and almost seems to shrink when she hears me say, "I wouldn't want my brother to hurt too badly."

She lets my words sink in and does a small swallow as she nods. She must be hurt. But...he is my brother and I don't want him to be unhappy. I know Hazel will do what's right.

If only she could do it soon enough so the pain is not too deep for the both of them.