31

"Normal" - Jimin's language"Mer" - Merman's language"Sign language" - both understand

"Mer" - Merman's language
"Sign language" - both understand

~*~

Author POV

"Grandpa" Jimin's voice was full of shock.

"Hello Jimin" his Grandpa's voice was soft as he spoke as Jimin launched himself into the sea and into the loving embrace of his Grandpa.

He was sobbing into the chest of his last remaining relative, the one he thought he had lost. But his arms were solid and warm around him, wet from the sea but secure. He buried his face into the crook of his Grandpa's neck, like a small child looking for comfort in their parental figure.

"It's ok, you're ok" his Grandpa's hand curled through his hair, the hands were different, now with long sharp talons. 

"I thought you were dead" Jimin whispered.

"I am to the world" Hyun replied.

"Why didn't you come sooner, I've been on the island for months" Jimin pulled back to look his Grandpa in his now pitch black eyes.

"I was scared, scared that you wouldn't accept me like this" Hyun's head dipped down in embarrassment. 

"But surely you would've seen how I accepted them" Jimin gestured to the other mer's looking upon their human conversation with confusion, unable to understand a thing other than Jimin's name.

"Yes, your mates are good people. I'm glad they found you" his Grandpa agreed.

"Mates?" Jimin looked confused. He turned to the mermen in surprise.

"I'm your mate?" it was posed as a question, the mer could tell that.

"Yes, we've been courting you for months" Namjoon signed back, he was the closest so his hand movements were easier to pick out in the moonlight.

Jimin hadn't been aware, he knew he had fallen for the mermen over time, but knew nothing of being their mate. He didn't want to hurt their feelings, but he wanted clarification.

"We hunted for you, and provided decoration for your home" Yoongi signed, he could tell his human was confused and wanted to save the other's feelings.

"I thought they were gifts, but now I know they are courting gifts. I accept them just as willingly" Jimin signed, a smile on his face when the mermen beamed back at him. 

"Jimin we need you to do something for us. We can't be on land for long, we need you to find Jin." his Grandpa looked to him.

"I will find him" Jimin's eyes were determined.

"When you do come to us, we will help you free him" his Grandpa's eyes were stern, he was serious on the matter and Jimin got that even though he was communicating through his hands to the other mer could understand.

"I will, take me to the boat that took him, that will be a good start" Jimin signed.

The mers pushed themselves backwards into the water again, taking off swimming, Jimin running along the shore line. The mers were lift their tails up on occasion to catch them off the moonlight, mostly Namjoon to continue to guide the human on the land. 

~*~

It turns out the distance from the beach Jimin had been walking on wasn't too far from where Jin had been captured. He was physically fit from his training as an idol and the extra work on the island helped as well, so he was able to maintain a steady jog the entire way.

The dock was empty of people, the steady bobbing of the boats and the waves lapping into their sides being the only sound ringing out in the otherwise silent scene. Jimin walked silently on the wooden boards, he had slipped his shoes into his backpack so he would be quieter.

"Show me where you last saw him" Jimin signed when the mermen bobbed their heads out of the water.

They dipped down below the surface, Jimin followed Namjoon's glittering tail as he reflected the moonlight off it. They stopped before a boat that was clearly a marina of sorts, used to pull large hauls of fish from the sea for commercial use. 

Jimin looked around, satisfied no one was there, he double checked with the mermen too. Their heightened night vision allowed them to see at night as clear as they did in the day. They shook their head indicating they saw nobody.

He walked onto the boat, using a flashlight on his phone he looked around. There was evidence of a struggle, their was a mass of netting spread out across the deck of the boat. It had been cut and was rather tangled. There was blood too, he dipped his hand down to look at it. It was blue, Jin's blood, anger built in his chest.

Some of the metal of the boat's deck had tear marks into it, not all the way through, but the scored lines were deep, as if something had been reluctantly dragged across it. Jimin could feel his face pull up into an angry expression, how could they do this.

Deep down he knew it was his fault, he left without warning, made them worry needlessly. They had come for him and in the process got themselves caught and goodness knows what would happen to Jin. A species everyone theorised about but never imagined would exist. 

He wanted to scream, but knew it would only alert someone. So he stepped off the boat, he made his way around to the dock edge. The mermen were waiting, it felt wrong to only see 5 of their faces.

He held out his hand, the one that still had Jin's blood on it. The mermen were more open with their feelings, some dipped their heads beneath the waves to shriek in anger. Jimin could vaguely hear it above the water line. 

"I'm going to look into it on land. We will find him" Jimin signed in promise. 

"Jimin be careful. I know you have a good reputation, but these people could hurt you" His grandpa warned, but he knew he wouldn't be able to stop his grandson.

"I will Grandpa, you look after them too. It will be hard for them" Jimin's gaze turned to the other mermen. 

"Be safe, I love you" His grandpa said the words with sincerity.

Jimin forgot how good they felt to hear. He truly had missed him, but his heart knew it wouldn't be content till he found Jin. Then they could all reminisce together. 

Jimin took off, his heart set on his mission and he wouldn't let anything stop him till Jin was home and safe. 

~*~

Thank you all so so much for 50K reads, you are all amazing

Anyway I hope you liked the chapter

Vote?

Comment?

Bye,
Winter