Chapter Ten

Alice's POV

I watched as Cora praised her new dragon and made a little bed for her in her night stand drawer. I took our dishes to the door and put them out in the hall like we were told.

I glanced at the time 10:00. It's a bit early but I was exhausted. I went into my dresser and took out a night gown and slipped it over my head. I looked over at Cora and she and Cynthia were already asleep. I crawled into bed, underneath the soft covers. I put my head on the pillow. I closed my eyes and slowly drifted to sleep.

2 hours later...

As the clock stroked midnight, the egg shuttered. I woke up to something small hitting my head. I bolted upright and saw that my egg was hatching! I put my feet on the floor and held the egg in my hand tightly. 

"Cora...!" I yell whispered. "Cora! Wake up!" I said a bit louder. Slowly she woke up, rubbing her eyes. 

"What...?" She whined. 

"Cora, my egg is hatching..." I said urgently. Cora snapped to her senses and rushed over, trying not to wake Cynthia. She sat beside me as the egg fell apart, a bit more gently than Cora's. Through every part that broke off, a blue beam of light came through.

All of a sudden the whole thing exploded and when the bright light faded, I saw a beautiful creature.

The baby dragon looked like it was made of ice and I thought she actually was. Even the wings looked like they were made of icicles. It was so adorable. 

"Cora... Do you think she'll melt? It looks like she's made of ice..." I said, concerned. 

"I think she's alright. I read about the twinkling ice dragon. Once they are a month old or so, their ice shell falls off and she will be kinda half feathered half scales." Cora said calmly. I nodded and the little dragon curled up my palm.

I did the same thing that Cora did and made a bed in my night stand drawer and put the sleeping baby dragon in the bed and crawled up in bed and dozed off. The next day would be alright. Right? Nope.