that was until you came along (2/4)

Depuis le début

And Adrien had work.

"Your dad is such a jerk," Nino groaned upon hearing that Adrien's availability for their two week break was booked.

Adrien shifted uncomfortably. "He gets a little uptight around the holidays."

"Well," Nino said, throwing an arm around Adrien's shoulder, "there's always FaceTime."

Marinette popped up on his other side, and having caught the tail-end of their conversation, said, "I could swing by with some things, i-if you want."

Warmth flooded Adrien's chest at the offer. "Thanks, Marinette. That's sweet."

Her face was pink from the cold when she blinked up at him. "Oh, it's nothing. I'm going to be working in the bakery a lot, anyway." She puffed up proudly, as she always did when she talked about her parents' business. It was very... endearing. "We get a lot of traffic during the holidays, so I'm not gonna be able to go out much either." She sent him a friendly wink. "Looks like we're both trapped inside for the holidays."

He'd felt a relatively strong camaraderie with Marinette recently, and he appreciated her trying to make him feel better about the situation. "Looks like it."

Chat Noir's eyes slid over to Marinette's balcony, which sat above her parents' bakery just across the street. Her bedroom lights were on, and distantly, he thought he could see her pacing and gesticulating with her arms. Unbidden, a smile touched his lips, and he leapt across the street for a better look.

She was talking to someone, he thought, recognizing her rapid speech pattern. She pointed to herself and then motioned wildly to some seeming 'other' person, and Chat leaned against the chimney on the neighboring roof with a grin.

Marinette was such a lively person.

Before he could think better of it, he was on her balcony. It belatedly occurred to him that he shouldn't be there, and Marinette might think it was weird, and what would Ladybug say—

"Chat Noir?"

Slowly, Chat turned.

And there she was, still bright-eyed from her conversation. Surprise shone in her gaze, but she didn't look displeased at his appearance.

"Princess," he said, hoping he didn't sound as awkward as he thought he did. It felt like he'd been caught doing something he wasn't supposed to, and his heart raced all the more for it. In a last-ditch effort to save his composure, he gave a little bow and sent her a wink. "A pleasure."

An odd look crossed Marinette's face, like she couldn't decide whether he was serious or not, and he could see her trying not to smile. "Yes. On my balcony."

Chat tried to lean against her railing and missed. "Oh? Is this—is this your balcony?" He looked around with feigned interest.

"Yes," Marinette said flatly. "You've been here before."

"Ah." Pain. "Yes. I remember."

Marinette's mouth twisted again, but this time she was unable to fight the smile. "What are you doing here?"

She had a point. The akuma of the day had been defeated, and rarely was Hawk Moth cruel enough to send out two back-to-back. What was he doing here?

"Just making my rounds," he managed, puffing up his chest in hopes of looking important. "You know, hero stuff."

Marinette hummed. "Can't say that I do."

Right. He knew she was lying because she was a superhero. Or—she had been. But her identity had been compromised (by him, no less), and Ladybug had had to take her Miraculous away. He still felt some residual guilt about it, but Marinette seemed busy enough with what she did have going on in her life, nevermind adding superhero duties and a massive secret.

"Is there suspicious activity on my balcony?" Marinette asked, watching Chat's face. He'd forgotten to respond to her.

"I'm afraid so," he sighed, not even trying to fight his grin. "These plants aren't regulation."

Marinette's gaze slid to the wilting flowers. There was a tinge of sadness there, but still, she smiled. "They don't do too well in the winter."

"No," Chat agreed fondly, "they don't."

Marinette fidgeted under his gaze, eyes darting every which way. She was always so expressive, something Adrien liked very much about her. Many of the people in his life walked around with blank faces and business-oriented minds, and it was a little exhausting.

Speaking of home....

"I have to get going," Chat said, and her attention snapped to him like a rubber band. She was shaking slightly, shivering. He rubbed the back of his neck, inexplicably nervous and maybe a little guilty at keeping her outside. "It was... nice seeing you."

Marinette blinked, and a smile bloomed on her face, less teasing. "You, too."

He nodded, wishing he could stay, wishing the weather was nicer so they could just stand on her balcony and watch the sunset, talking idly. She wouldn't mind, would she? Hadn't... hadn't she been in love with him once?

The thought sent a sharp jolt through his chest, effectively spearing his breath. Was she still? Did seeing him give her butterflies? Ladybug flashed in his mind, and like muscle memory, his pulse fluttered.

He wondered then if it was like that for her, too, or if she'd moved on. She probably had, right? Real love was nurtured, and that was how it grew. An unpleasant weight settled in his chest, just a bit crushing, and he quickly pushed that thought from his mind.

Marinette was watching him, he realized as he came out of his thoughts. Curiosity etched into her brow and concern glimmering in her eyes. It struck him suddenly that she was pretty—not that he'd never noticed before, but bathed in the beginnings of sunset with thoughts of love dancing in his head, she was perhaps one of the prettiest girls he'd ever seen.

Breath punched from his lungs, he could do nothing but wave and pray he didn't trip on anything as he turned away.

There was a smile in her voice as she said, "Catch you around."

And what could he have said to that? Hours later, staring up at his ceiling, hundreds of clever and charming things came to mind too late.

* * *

there you go! I love pining kids. ❤️

xoxo, j.