Dave deeply sighed and the closer I scrutinized him, I noticed he was drunk. His eyes were heavily bloodshot, he smelled of booze and had a slight slur in his words. "You're drunk?!" 

"What did I say about keeping your voice down?" Dave covered my mouth and looked around the room. 

I pushed his hand off, grabbed it, and dragged him through the living room, past the kitchen to outside where I was. I shut the glass door behind me and crossed my arms as I faced him. "Talk."

Dave didn't seem the least bit bothered or interested in explaining himself. Instead, he looked like he wanted to get the hell away from me as quickly as he could. He raked his fingers through his hair and rolled his eyes. "I don't need this."

"David, do not make me wake Mandy and Dad." I huffed and decided to talk more gently. "Tell me what's wrong, you haven't seemed yourself in a while. I meant to talk to you the last time but –"

"But you were too busy and happy in your life to care," Dave abruptly cut me off. "You've got a boyfriend and a new career so I get it. But please, don't interfere in my life, you're not my mother."

I was left speechless and shocked at his outburst. Dave was a bit of a rebel and had mood swings but never had he ever spoken to in that way before. 

"How can you ever understand me? You're the perfect daughter who can never do wrong in Mom and Dad's eyes."

"Where is this coming from?"

"It's the truth but you're too much of a snowflake to hear it," Dave retorted. "Everyone has to walk on eggshells around you because you've suffered so much. Dad neglected you and now that he wants to have a relationship with you, no one is allowed to say a word against his perfect, precious Mila."

"Why should, Mom, Eric, and I pay the price for his mistakes?" Dave's voice raised. "You're dating the guy because of whom you almost died and Dad has no issue with it just as long as you're happy. To make matter worse, your boyfriend is the son of the woman that Dad can never get over. How do you think that makes Mom feel? Hearing Dad talk about how good the brownies you made using her recipe are?"

I was at a loss for words, I had no idea Dave or Mandy felt that way. Could I have been so selfish that I didn't see how my relationship with Mitchell affected my family? Was Mandy that bothered at having Mitchell over? I instantly regretted telling everyone I used Carly's recipe but I didn't think how much it must've bothered Mandy.

"I didn't know..." I whispered. 

"How can you?" Dave snapped. "You're so absorbed in your own life that you forgot you even have a family. I tried to call you twice and, on both accounts, you said you'd call me back but never did, so please save the fake concern."

"I meant to but I got so busy at the hospital and... I'm sorry, there are no excuses." I stepped forward and wanted to reach for my brother who clearly had a lot on his mind. "But talk to me now, Davey, you know I care."

"You cared," Dave spat. "But you've moved on in life so why the fuck would you want to listen to my issues? Who cares if I haven't a fucking clue where I'm going with my life? My chosen major is just to satisfy Dad, I thought I had a good thing going on with football but thanks to a fractured wrist, I can't play this season, or ever."

"Fractured wrist... no one told me."

"Because Dad said you already had a lot on your plate to deal with. Fragile Mila didn't need the stress of her half-brothers' petty problems!"

"Those are not my words!" I hit back. "I never asked Dad to protect me, I can handle a lot more than he believes. But you're right, the fact that so many things were hidden from me proves that I'm just your half-sister."