Reality Check...

-Louis-

I still couldn’t believe that Maddie was in Doncaster for Christmas. Apparently George didn’t want Maddie to be reminded of the cancer and so had decided on the spot to come ‘back home’ for Christmas.

They were staying at Maddie’s grandparents house for the 2 weeks, something which shocked all of us. You see, Sara’s parents (Mad’s mum) have never liked George for getting Sara pregnant at 16, but they stuck together through thick and thin. They still hadn’t forgiven him though, but he’d asked them if they could stay, not for him, but for Maddie, and they did.

I’d told the lads what had happened, and they were all glad to know that she was doing alright. Apparently she’d been avoiding everyone, included Natalie. I was in the kitchen, my head resting in my hands when I heard the front door open. “Louis!” I heard the oh so familiar voice. I

looked up and saw Stan beaming at me. I got up and quickly hugged him, before sitting back down. “Ok, something’s happened. You’re usually cracking jokes by now.” He gave a nervous chuckle.

I gave him a small smile, not knowing where to start. I sighed as I ran my hand through my hair. “Stan, the thing is...” I trailed off when the front door opened. Charlotte had gone shopping with a couple of friends earlier, and I wasn’t expecting her to be back till later.

“Need some help Lottie?” I asked when I saw her loaded with bags. “Nah, its fine. Mads is coming in with the rest.” Her muffled voice said. “Mads? She’s here?” Stan asked. Well there goes my plan to tell him everything. “Yeah, that’s what I wanted to tell you.” Stan gave me suspicious glance before heading out the front door. I went back into the kitchen to make everyone a cuppa.

“Lou, whats wrong?” Lottie asked from the table. “Nothing, why?” I asked. She gave me a don’t-lie-to-me look and I sighed. “I dunno Lottie. It’s just that, I hate seeing Maddie so broken and there’s nothing I can do about it.” I sighed when Lottie hugged me. “She’s gonna be fine.” She whispered to me.

“How can you be so sure though?” I voice broke as I spoke. She sighed and was about to say something when Maddie and Stan came into the kitchen. “I dunno why you dragged me out shopping with you Lottie. You know how much I hate it.” She scowled at Lottie and she just grinned back. I noticed she’d started wearing a scarf round her head, a sign that she was getting weaker.

“Why didn’t anyone tell me you were back?” Stan frowned. We all hesitated before Maddie finally spoke up. “Because they probably didn’t know what to tell you.” Stan looked so confused. Maddie sighed and started explaining everything.

***

The rest of the day was spent with Maddie having a catch up with Stan and the girls. There was no mention of her illness, and if there was she was quick to change the topic. I needed a breather from all the chaos that had happened in the past couple of hours, and sort refuge in my old room.

I lay on the bed, trying to decipher what I was feeling when there was knock on the door. “Mind if I join you?” a small voice asked. I nodded and sat up so there was room for her to sit next to me. We sat in silence, and for once it was an awkward one.

After what felt like an eternity she turned to face me. “Lou, is everything alright?” she asked. She was asking me that? I looked at her, fighting back the tears that were sure to fall. “I don’t know Mads.” I whispered. “I’ve only just got you back, I don’t want to lose you again.” She sighed and took hold of my hand. “Lou, you’ve got to stop thinking like this.” I looked up into the chocolate brown eyes.

“It’s hard not to.” I mumbled. She rested her head on my shoulder. I wanted to say something more, but she beat me to it.

“Lou, you’ve got to listen to me.” She said it with so much determination in her eyes that she kind of scared me. “Nobody’s here forever, you’ve got to understand that. You’ve got the lads, a family, who care about you. Whatever happens, promise me you won’t do anything stupid.” She was biting her lip, nothing but concern in her eyes. “Mads...” but she cut me off.

“Louis, promise me. I’m not that special for you to wallow about. Eleanor already thinks I’m talking you away from her because you care about me too much. She has every right to hate me.” I shook my head. “No she doesn’t. You two can be friends.” But she shook her head.

“And we probably would be, if I didn’t love you as much as I do.” She whispered, tears filling her eyes. My heart clenched when she said those words. “I just don’t want to hurt you.” She said as the tears started to fall. I quickly wiped them away and pulled her into a hug. “I’m scared Louis.” She whispered into my neck, the warmth of her breath sending a shiver down my spine.

With her still in my arms I lay down on the bed and pulled her closer. “Maddie..” I kissed her temple, rubbing small circles on her back in the hope it would calm her down. “I just don’t wanna leave you.” She cried onto my shoulder. I kept shushing her, wanted to do so much more to comfort her.

When she eventually stopped crying she sat up and looked at me. “I’m sorry.” She mumbled. “Don’t be.” I said as I sat up as well. “I want to show you something.” She suddenly said a mischievous glint in her eyes. “Oh yeah?” I asked as she pulled me from the bed. She rolled her eyes at me, but led me over to Lottie’s room.

“There was a reason why I went shopping with Lottie today, you do realise that, right?” she asked. I frowned as she went to Charlotte’s wardrobe and pulled out a small bag. “It’s not much, but happy birthday.” She said. She started playing with her hair, something she’s always done when she was nervous. “You didn’t have to get me anything.” I said. She smiled. “But I did. I’ve had 2 years to catch up on.” I chuckled slightly as I took the bag out of her hand.

I slowly opened it, wondering what on earth Maddie could have spent on me, when the twins came barging into the room. “What are you two doing?” Daisy asked, a smirk playing on her lips. I chuckled slightly before putting the bag down. “Just talking.” I said. “About what?” Phoebe asked, her hands hiding behind her back. I saw Maddie edge around the room, trying to get out before anything happened.

Luckily for her, the twins attention were focused entirely on me. “We’ve got you a surprise.” They said at the same time. Maddie was at the door, her eyes open wide, before she looked back at me. “You’re on your own now Tommo.” She giggled, making my heart beat faster than normal, before she bounced out the room.

I was about to follow her when the twins threw something at me. It hit me square in the face, sending a shiver down my whole body. I looked down to see a sodden puddle where the snowball had landed. “IT’S SNOWING!” they shouted before following Maddie downstairs.