𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟕

That morning, Calvin pulled her awake and patted her shoulder, offering her some food he carried while also feeding their horses. They both sat and ate as the sun began rising, both sitting on the path and looking around the familiar fields, flowers and forests. Like a machine, she climbed onto her horse after eating, she had it down to clockwork. Considering they were so close to the kingdom, they decided to lightly ride their way to the castle. There wasn't a need to rush; Technoblade and Philza were a fair distance behind, this was their time to catch up.

Dialogue started once more between the two as they slowly progressed towards the silhouette of civilisation. For what felt like the first time (but was growing more common), Venus set off the spark, "why do you follow me, Calvin? It has dawned upon me that I never got to ask." She continued to look forward.

"You haven't asked? I haven't answered? I could have sworn I did! Whatever. I'm your personal knight, your highness." Replied Calvin, trying to wrack his brain and see if he had told her or not.

"Are you assigned by Technoblade?" The question hung still for an odd reason. It was as though Calvin didn't want to respond.

"Sorry. No. I offered!" She turned to look at him, he bore a grin, "you're nice, I know you need that exalted proof that you're stronger now - who else but Technoblade's famous personal trainer? Who taught him all of the neat tips and tricks he uses today?" Calvin's ego was unprecedented, but Venus couldn't blame him after hearing of his many, many achievements he carried.

"Are you calling me weak?" She joked with a slightly amused grin.

"I'm saying they won't believe now that you've lost your crown." He rebutted with a smirk of his own. "It's alright, Phil's like the father bird, the birds love him. He probably has the crown now. You're fine." Calvin comforted the mildly distressed woman ahead of him.

"I hope so." She shuddered thinking of how much tradition the coronation held - therefore how much that crown must have been worth. "By the way, why is Techno's hair pink?" Venus finally asked the question which dogged her since she saw the portraits in that hallway.

"He's part-piglin. Well, piglin brute." Calvin responded with ease.

"No, I know that. Why is his hair pink but the rest of his family isn't? I won't lie to you, I saw the portraits of the family, so why is it that Technoblade inherited the genes and his father didn't? But his grandfather no less than 20 generations back also had the genes, and his grandfather 40, 60, 80 and more generations prior?" She recalled from her memory, Calvin sighed.

"Right, well it's every 25 generations, firstly;" he corrected her, "secondly, it's more of a curse in the family? Every 25 generations or so, the children are cursed with being part-piglin brutes. The family has a strong connection to the Nether. There are rumours that was where the bloodline began... but... I do think the family was just brought up with the curse throughout generations. Maybe they did something bad? I don't know. Sorry. All I know is that it's a curse and actually, Techno's younger brother Mercury was the weird one for not being born visibly part-piglin. He's the special one; as it turns out, Mercury is still part-monster... he just didn't get the physical attributes. He's got the raw strength of a monster and the stamina of one too." Calvin explained and rambled continuously, giving details as the two trotted through the desolate village towards the castle - there, a soft yet thick textured mumble billowed. Calvin and Venus could see townsfolk-a-plenty congregating by the castle entrance, all murmuring. Not a king in sight.

Not holding much care, both made their way through. She untied her hair before hopping off of her horse and handing the reins to Sapnap lazily. The boy could only stare in shock, taking the lead of Calvin's horse as both walked into the castle. It surely must have been a surprise, Venus missed Sapnap, his vulgar language, the light stubble he called a beard, that grin they exchanged whenever they schemed something. She missed roaming the kingdom with him, only accompanied with a guard dog - which pulled them along to the end of nowhere.