𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟒

After the meal had finished and Venus stalled by washing up with Phil, she found herself being urged to bathe so that she could appropriately be both hygienic and dry for her crowning. She sat in the bath, appreciating the smell of spiced berries while thinking of how far she had gone from where she came. Her status was as volatile as the international coal trade. Princess, adventurer, princess once more, messenger, princess yet again, traitor and fugitive by law, target, dead; she was considered dead for a few months - before returning to her ascribed status of princess, and at last - empress. It could change, nothing was stopping her from returning to being a princess.

As she rested, head partially submerged in the warm water, she thought of if it was worth it. Would it be worth her revealing she was alive to a family who would overall not care. Well they would care, it wouldn't be in a good way.

Her fingers pruned as she pondered before she finally decided to climb out and dress herself. She wore a blue dress, it wasn't often she wore blue - it was the only thing she could really remember from her sister, Cecilla. But it wasn't a bad colour, so Venus spun in her dusty blue dress, leaving the bathroom while the water drained. A maid silently excused herself and went in behind Venus to clean up - Venus hoped it was an easy job for her, she cleaned everything other than the bath. Hertha sat there with Kristen looking at the dress, it was an amazing blue; cotton and satin with fine lace over it for a glimmer in the light. They settled on the mermaid cut, with gold and yellow sequins forming flowers and plants from the waistline downwards. Kristen turned to Venus and shot a sorrowful look.

"Darling, do you know what we could do to make this dress better?" She asked pitifully. Venus looked at it, and though being self-conscious of her sense of style (a lot of what she suggested and offered was often disagreed with by a few people whenever she offered her opinion), she squinted.

"Hm... why not... silver beading across the neckline and trailing across the waist above the sequins... is that too odd? Why not lace the neck with an overlay bodice instead? You could make it yellow." Venus contemplated. Hertha gasped and smiled.

"I wanted to have a lace mask like Queen Kristen! That would go perfectly!" She celebrated and pulled out the yellow lace.

"I'll do it, darling. Go take a bath." Venus stopped her and pushed her behind the painting after the maid had left. "Alright. Let's give this a makeover." Venus sighed confidently.

"Mhm... I was thinking that shoulderless didn't suit her." Kristen nodded. Venus agreed. "Sleeveless and short sleeved do. Why don't we give these on top? It can help cover the emptiness of her neck when the time comes."

"Mhm, she can pull them down if she doesn't want them, how about we add some short sleeves? Like lace... ruffles?" She offered the idea of sleeves, Kristen wanted a demonstration and Venus went through the effort of pinning lace how she wanted by the straps.

"Oh! I see! That's cute! We can add some simple gold and yellow to the straps and we can have blue sequins down on the bodice!" Kristen's lightbulb moment sparked and the girls scrambled to get the dress done. Hertha was taking a while in the bath, by the time they had finished, Ranboo was waiting by the door to escort Venus to her dress.

When they had finally finished, Venus hurried with Ranboo to the room, where Minerva and Wilbur were waiting. Both had good style, so were both elected to help. Venus looked at the dress and saw the over-skirt resting calmly on the dress, the red was the slightly darker red of the bodice, which stood out over the lighter lace which was kept on top.

Both Wilbur and Minerva were dressed for the occasion. Minerva wore a blue skirt, but had a separate bodice - which was grey. She wore a blue corset on top to fit her figure. Wilbur was wearing a suit. Three-piece, with a blue tie to stand out against all of the other colours. What more could Venus say other than he was dashing?