𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒

Venus walked in and decided she would start a new book, it was a great way to kill time and she would rather finish her own book in the confines of her room. There were plenty of books to read, so she settled on The Divine Comedy. A large book, consisting of religious myths, along with crude humour. She sat at a desk with the book, starting to read it there before moving onto a couch by a table, which held an open lantern. It was a lovely atmosphere to read the book, the wind couldn't be heard from the library, as she found that the expanse of bookshelves didn't hold any windows. Venus could hear some, regardless, though the muffled bounce of it's whistling was calming to her.

She ignored the angered and frustrated conversation which could be heard close by, knowing full well that the one who dominated it was Technoblade. She wasn't involved, had anything bad happened. Yet the voices grew louder as they echoed around the library.

"Well where is she? I thought I told you to keep an eye on her and this was the best you could do? I've called for her in this room thrice!" Technoblade scolded someone.

"What guarantees she would respond to you, Technoblade? It's clear she isn't fond of you, and if she's here, why would she respond if she's reading." Philza's accent rang.

"Oh please, Phil. Grow up. She isn't that petty. She can't be indulged in a book anyway. She's already started one." Technoblade huffed with frustration. The anger blinded him, his statements weren't making much sense.

"Sorry, sorry. Still, we've searched. Why do you need her anyway?" The older man chuckled and smiled softly - Venus heard from his voice alone that his eyes were creased in amusement.

"Well the general said someone sent a letter demanding their fiancée-to-be back before he comes and burns the village to the ground. Fiancée-to-be!? How old could the guy really be? Five? Who uses such a sad title to think of themselves as better? Sounds more like she doesn't like him." Technoblade gave his opinion and stopped, he was close, Venus would say two bookshelves away.

"I see. You seem awfully distressed about it." Phil responded, trying not to laugh as Technoblade began sounding more and more like he himself was five.

"I am! I didn't realise she was a threat to my empire, if any." He scowled and turned the corner. "That being said, I should protect her. It may sound unrequited, but there is genuine concern. If he burns down a village because she's with someone else now, what would he do to her if she was with someone else and they were wed? What would happen to her?" Technoblade sounded as though he bit his lip in frustration. Venus sat there staring at the page. Who was he to worry about her? At last, Technoblade spotted the woman, seeing her back towards him as she looked down at the page.

Venus heard Philza leave, but Technoblade walked over with his own book. She didn't bother looking up, she was busy reading about the endeavours of the fourth ring of Hell. So Technoblade started the conversation, "what're you reading? That isn't the book from before. And why aren't you wearing the dress I gave you? Something wrong with it?" He asked.

"The Divine Comedy." She responded, knowing she couldn't keep secrets like that from him - it was his book after all.

"Not a bad book for a messenger." He chortled. Right, she forgot once more that she was a messenger to him. He was mocking her intellectual capacity.

"Not a bad leader for a monster." She seethed in return, not looking up but turning the page. A silence hung in the air, Venus felt as though she shut him up for good. Yet his laugh bubbled around the library and he smiled at her. It wasn't forced, he was genuinely bemused.

"You really think so huh? Well what about the dress? Was there a problem?" He repeated his question from before.

"No, it was the right size. I didn't like the colour." She responded truthfully, she wasn't interested to know whether he thought she was stuck up or high maintenance.