CH 46: FALSE PROMISE

Start from the beginning

"I'll catch up with you." Falco waved to his family. He kneeled down and helped the Eldian soldiers who were screaming. "Are you okay? Please, calm down." He then shifted to the long-haired man behind him.

"Ah. Eren..."

"Your armband is on the wrong arm. It's okay I'm sure you'll get better. You don't have to fight any longer..." He said to Eren while adjusting the armband

I walked a bit more and called Falco. "Falco, time to go." Eren and Falco looked up. "Ah, right. Coming," he answered. Eren and I made eye contact and slightly raised an eyebrow before leaving.

"There you are!" I heard Pieck shout behind me. I turn around and saw her furious face. "What?" I asked. "I've been looking for you!"

"W-Why...?"

"Come to our house! Father prepared a meal for us!" She said.

My eyes widened. "M-Me...?"

Pieck narrowed at me. "Of course, dummy. Who else do you think!? Come on!"

He grabbed my hand and pulled me towards her father who was smiling at us.

"Mister Finger, how have you been."

"I'm feeling better, Uri. I'm glad you two made it back safe." He said and then started coughing. Pieck looked worried.

We began heading to their house. I'm touched. The joy was all over my face the whole time I spent with them. It's not grand, but it felt like home. It's been 12 years since I experienced coming home to a household like this and it was just me, my father, and my sister at that time. "I'm grateful."

***

"Just don't look. Don't be suspicious." I kept telling myself to act normal. But how can I do that when the 104th was sitting near our table.

Pieck and Porco invited me to hang out at a small tea shop outside the internment zone. "Why are they here?" I feel like this is intentional. They came here exactly for me. Hizuru's Estate is a bit far from here for this to be just a coincidence.

They kept looking at us and I get distracted every time.

"So, about the Paradis mission. Did they approve the war chief's suggestion?" Porco asked.

"Not yet, I think... We still have to wait. The general hasn't discussed it with the other higher-ranking officers." I answered.

"Hmm."

"You guys, let's not talk about mission right now. I want to just relax." Pieck said who look exhausted as usual.

"Right..."

We stayed there minding our own business. Porco was eating a sandwich and writing reports, Pieck was looking outside the window. While I was just leaning on my chair trying not to land my gaze on the squad who have been trying to get my attention."Haven't they realized that I saw them...? They are being reckless. If Pieck recognizes them, it's over..."

"Ugh. Pock, how long will it still take to finish that?" She sighed.

"I'm almost done."

I glanced at them and my heart started to raise. I've met Mikasa's gaze. She was just as shocked as I was. I froze from the sight of her. That's the woman I had prayed to see. And now she's just a few meters away... I... can't...

I forced myself to look away. I don't want Pieck or Porco to notice and look in their direction. Who the hell ordered them to be here?!

I rubbed my eyebrow. "Unbelievable." Sasha's eating aggressively. People were starting to stare at them. We're just lucky that Porco's busy and Pieck's too exhausted to give a shit.