CH 39: SUNSET 2

YEAR 853

We have a training schedule this afternoon, I don't want to attend but I have no choice... I thought they gave us a week to rest but why order us all of a sudden...? I leave the house early and started to head to the HQ.

"Hey!"

I looked behind and saw the black-haired woman catching up with my pace.

"Ah, the famous Miss Pieck."

"Where are you going, Uri?"

"Were you waiting for me?"

"Keep dreaming. I just happened to be here."

"Ha. That so?"

"So, where are you going?"

"I'll train with Gabi but I bet you already know. What about you?"

"I'm going to the training."

I smirked. "Keep your distance away from me, Miss Pieck."

She tilted her head. "Huh? Why should I?"

"Your admirers will see us... AKA Panzer Unit"

She chuckled. "Does it bother you?"

I slightly frowned. "Nope. But Porco, the way he teases me is what bothers me."

"I see..."

We continued to walk side to side. She seemed more cheerful than usual as she sway her hands with each step she made.

"Say, Miss Pieck..."

She turned her head on me and raised her eyebrows, "Hm?"

"Do you enjoy your life here?"

She gasped. We were filled with silence for a second. Her mood changed, and the joy on her face fade away. "I think so... I mean, we didn't have a choice. Why?"

I can't stop now, I want to know. "We're Eldians, right? So, if you were given a chance to live with Eldians on the island, would you accept it?"

I could see the shock and confusion written all over her. "... what kind of question is that?"

If I don't stop... she'll... "Let's just say-"

"Mister Uri! Miss Pieck!"

I was cut off by Gabi who called us. We looked ahead and saw her waving at us. She started to run towards us.

"Good timing! My family wants to meet you! The famous sniper from Hizuru!" Gabi said.

I narrowed. "W-What?"

"Well, since you're going to train me to be a better candidate, they want to show their gratitude. Come on! We can eat at our house before the training starts!" Gabi said, as cheerful as ever.

I couldn't reject the invitation since we're almost in front of their house. Pieck joined us, too. Who would have thought I'd be sitting with the Braun family. I remember Reiner talking about his hometown, his family, and now I'm here.

His mother set the table and asked me and Pieck to take a seat. His uncle and aunt, Gabi's parents, joined as well.

Gabi's father: Gabi told me you're from Hizuru, is that right?

I forced a smile and answered. "Ah, yes. Dammit. Not this question again...!"

Gabi's father: That's nice. A sniper like you, I heard from Gabi you successfully infiltrated and kill all the enemies on several Mideast camps... That's awesome.

Y/N: Ah.. ha ha. Yes, sir. I just did what I was ordered to do.

"But is it true that most of them were killed by slitting their throat?" Karina asked, Reiner's mother.