𝘚𝘌𝘟

╭━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━━━✶━━━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━╮
because my mother is dead
╰━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━━━✶━━━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━╯

𝘈𝘶𝘳𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘢'𝘴 𝘗𝘖𝘝

After a lot of convincing on my part, we sit in the police station to wait on Bucky getting released.

"Sam. Aurelia. I've heard a lot about you both. I'm Dr Raynor. I'm James' therapist" A woman introduces herself, both Sam and I shaking her hand.

"So nice to meet you. Thank you for getting him out" Sam says to her.

"That was not me" She states and before we can ask her who it was I hear the voice of the one person I really don't wanna see right now, or at all to be honest.

"Christina!" Walker hollers "It's great to see you again"

"No" I groan.

"You gotta be kidding me. You know him?" Sam scoffs in disbelief.

"Yeah, we did some field ops back in the day" Christina explains.

"I heard you were working with Bucky, so I thought I'd step in. Bucky's not gonna be following a strict schedule any longer" Walker tells the woman.

"We haven't finished our work. Who authorised this?" Christina asks in surprise.

"Um..." Walker drawls off before smiling and pointing at himself "He's too valuable of an asset to have tied up. Just do whatever you got to do with him, then send him off to me. Got some unfinished business, him and I. You too, Wilson, Aura. I'll be outside"

"It's Aurelia to you" I correct and he puts his hands up in a surrender, chuckling as he leaves.

think nice thoughts, Aura...go to your happy place

"James, condition of your release, session now. Aurelia, Sam, you too" Christina declares and I look at the woman in confusion.

"That's okay. We'll be out here-" Sam gets cut off.

"That's wasn't a request" She snaps.

Bucky follows the woman into the room and I grab the front of Sam's shirt, dragging him in with me.

"Sit" She orders and I get flashbacks of when my mother would sit Thor, Loki and I down after we'd fight.

Bucky and Sam immediately sit furthest away from each other, so I'm stuck with the middle seat.

"So...Who would like to start?" She asks.

"It wasn't me!" I blurt out and all three of them look at me in confusion "I apologise, I don't know where that came from"

"All right, look, Dr Raynor?" Sam speaks and the woman nods "I get it, why you want me to talk to Freaky Magoo over here. But I'm 100% fine"

"It is my job to make sure that you're okay. And so, yeah, this may be slightly unprofessional, but it's the only way that I can see if you're getting over whatever's eating at you" Christina explains.

"This is ridiculous" Sam huffs.

"Yeah. I agree" Bucky nods.

"Will you two shut up?" I mutter in annoyance.

"See? Making progress already" Christina chirps "So, who wants to go first? No volunteers? Wow. How surprising"

"Okay. We're going to do an exercise" She announces "It's something I use with couples when they're trying to figure out what kind of life they want to build together"

"If you're gonna talk to these two ladies about their relationship, I think I should probably wait outside" I suggest, standing up.

"Sit down, Miss" She warns me and I huff, dropping back into the chair.

"Are you familiar with the miracle question?" Christina asks.

"Absolutely not" Sam answers at the same time Bucky says "Of course not"

"I don't think so" I shrug.

"Okay, it goes like this. Suppose that while you're sleeping a miracle occurs. When you wake up, what is something that you would like to see that would make your life better?" Christina questions curiously.

"In my miracle, he would- he would talk less" Bucky says sassily.

"Exactly what I was gonna say. Isn't that ironic?" Sam retorts.

"Aurelia?" She sighs.

"In my miracle...I'd see my mother" I answer, the woman smiling softly as she thinks she's getting through to me but when I finish my sentence her smile falls "Because my mother is dead and me seeing her would mean I'm dead too, as far away from these bickering imbeciles as possible"

"That's morbid" Sam comments.

"You guys are leaving me with no choice. It's time for the soul-gazing exercise" Christina declares.

"I like this one better" Bucky quips.

"Oh, God. He's gonna love this" Sam says in amusement.

"Yeah, I'm ready" Bucky nods.

"This is right up your alley" Sam comments.

"I hate you both" I groan.

"Turn around. Face each other" Christina instructs and they both turn their chairs to face each other, leaving me awkwardly in the middle.

"You should really enjoy this" Sam snorts.

"I'm going to" Bucky retorts.

"I know you are" Sam replies.

"Yeah" Bucky smirks "Let's do it. Let's stare"

"Ma'am, I feel uncomfortable" I declare and she nods her head, gesturing for me to come to her.

"Get close" Christina orders them as I practically leap out my chair and round the table.

"This is a good exercise. Thanks, Doc" Bucky says almost sarcastically.