𝘗𝘙𝘖𝘓𝘖𝘎𝘜𝘌

𝘈𝘶𝘳𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘢'𝘴 𝘗𝘖𝘝

"Remember, you have to return the stones to the exact moment you got 'em or you're gonna open up a bunch of nasty alternative realities" Bruce explains to Steve.

"Don't worry, Bruce" The blonde assures him "Clip all the branches"

"You know, I tried. When I had the gauntlet, the stones, I really tried to bring her back" Bruce says, talking about Natasha and I frown deeply as Sam lays a hand on my shoulder "I miss her, man"

"Me too" Steve replies.

"You know, if you want, I could come with you" Sam suggests and I turn to my boyfriend, hoping he'll take up his friend's offer.

"You're a good man, Sam. This one's on me though" Steve tells him and I tilt my head slightly, getting a bad feeling in my stomach.

The blonde headed man turns to his dark haired best friend and smiles.

"Don't do anything stupid till I get back" Steve jokes and Bucky smiles, shaking his head.

"How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you" Bucky retorts before the two share a hug.

"Gonna miss you, buddy" Bucky tells his best friend.

"It's gonna be okay, Buck" Steve assures him.

Something in the air doesn't feel right and I can't help but hate the way Steve looks at me as he turns to me.

"Steven" I smile warmly.

"Promise me something?" He asks.

"Anything" I reply with a nod.

"Promise me that you'll never forget I love you" He almost pleads and I frown.

"That sounds an awful lot like a goodbye, Rogers" I comment, my heart dropping as the look on his face confirms the farewell.

"Aura" He sighs.

"Okay, okay, I promise" I assure him.

He places a sweet kiss to my lips and I savour the moment knowing it may be the last moment we ever have. I swipe my thumb over his cheek and give him an encouraging nod, trying my best not to cry. Steve places one last kiss to my temple and heads up onto the platform of the machine. He puts on his suit and I feel an arm wrap around me. I lay my head on the man's shoulder, knowing that it's Sam and he rubs my arm comfortingly.

"How long is this gonna take?" Sam asks Bruce.

"For him, as long as he needs. For us, five seconds" Bruce explains.

as long as he needs

"You ready, Cap?" Bruce asks as Steve picks up Mjölnir and the blonde nods in return "All right, we'll meet you back here, okay?"

"You bet" Steve chirps, his helmet securing around his head.

"Going quantum. Three...two...one" Bruce says and Steve disappears "And returning in five...four...three...two...one"

When Steve doesn't appear like he's supposed to I let a tear run down my cheek, smiling sadly.

"Where is he?" Sam asks in confusion.

"I don't know. He blew right by his time stamp. He should be here" Bruce answers.

"Get him back" Sam demands.

"I'm trying" Bruce snaps.

"Get him the hell back!" Sam retorts.

"Hey, I said I'm trying!" Bruce yells.

"Guys, stop fighting. He's not coming back" I declare and they both look at me in confusion.

Before either of them make me explain myself I notice Bucky walk away.

"Sam" Barnes speaks up and I notice the elderly man sitting on a bench, a round case by his side.

The three of us walk over until we're a couple feet away from him and I wipe my tears.

"Go ahead" Bucky says.

I look at him in confusion but he doesn't look at me so I turn to Sam.

"He's gonna want to see you first" The Wilson man tells me.

I just nod in response, walking over to the man. I sit down next to him on the bench and I see him smile warmly.

"Hey, old man" I joke lightly.

"Aura, I was hoping I'd see you" Steve replies.

I notice the wedding ring on his left hand and I smile sadly, nodding at it.

"You went back for her" I state.

"I'm really sorry. I know that I shouldn't have left you without saying-" I cut him off before he can continue his apology.

"It's okay, Steve. I understand why you did it. Peggy is the one, and that's great. I'm really happy for you" I assure the man, wiping away a stray tear as it runs down my cheek.

"I did love you" He says, a guilty look on his face.

"But you loved her more" I add and he nods.

"Goodbye, Steve" I breathe out.

"Goodbye, Aura" He sighs.