Chapter Thirteen

Quentin turned to look at the Koi swimming about in the fountain and seemed deep in thought. Billie knew he didn't have another solution. They were just pretty words. He was trying to make her feel better, but she knew the reality of this proposal. She now had to decide if she could go through with it.

Billie reached out to turn his cheek to look at her. "I'm a big girl, Quentin. I get the risks. I understand. We proceed with the plan. We make a proper show of this relationship. We'll get everyone behind us, and then make the announcement."

"And if the announcement is not enough to drive my father off the deal?" Quentin queried.

"Then we get married," Billie stated matter-of-factly.

Quentin turned back to the fountain. Billie wondered what had him in such a quandary. "This was your idea, you know?" Billie reminded him.

"I know. I just..."

"What?"

"Never mind, it's not important. I will help you. I will do whatever it takes to save your father's company."

Billie took Quentin's hand in hers. "Thank you! I don't know how I can ever repay you for this."

"There is no need," Quentin said rising and holding his hand out to her.

Billie guessed getting his revenge on his father for ending his relationship with Calista would be enough for him. She took his hand and he led her through the maze back to his mother.

"Ah, there you two are? I know those hedges are great for secret rendezvous but I was hoping to get a little more time to get to know you, dear."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to get lost in your backyard."

"Backyard?! My darling girl, never call it that. A garden is the proper term."

Billie wasn't exactly sure what the difference was but she figured this was a place Mrs. Harrison obviously took pride in, so she would call it whatever the woman wished.

"Amelia?! Amelia! Have you heard from that no-account son of mine?!" Mr. Harrison said, stomping on through the doorway onto the veranda.

"Right here, Father," Quentin said, his lips pressed into a thinly veiled smile.

"Damn it, boy! You know how important this..."

"Good morning, Mr. Harrison. Or is it afternoon I've been enjoying your son's company so much that I've lost track of the time?" Billie stated.

Whatever was going to come out of Mr. Harrison's lips died there, and a fake smile was plastered in its place. "Why Ms. Dupree? You're here. In my home," Mr. Harrison said scrambling to reign in his emotions.

"Yes, Dear. After I saw that picture in the paper, I thought I should invite her over for tea," Mrs. Harrison said. "Why not have a seat, Darling, and I'll pour you a cup as well."

"You invited her?" By Mr. Harrison's tone, it was evident that he found this hard to believe.

"Well, of course. It's been some time since Quentin showed an avid interest in a woman. I just had to meet her."

"I see," Mr. Harrison sat down, eyeing his wife speculatively, obviously not sure what to believe.

"How are negotiations going with my father, Mr. Harrison?" Billie asked and this question seemed to take everyone at the table by surprise.

"Quite well," Mr. Harrison said while taking a sip of tea.

"I'm so glad to hear it," Billie said.

"You are? I was under the impression you were against my involvement, Ms. Dupree?"