Chapter Twelve

Finally, dressed and ready to go, Quentin and Billie headed to the garage to retrieve Quentin's car. Billie ran her hand along the Aston Martin in appreciation before climbing in.

"What made you choose the Valkyrie?" Billie asked.

"What can I say? I have a thing for powerful women," Quentin said with a grin before sliding in behind the wheel.

They drove to his home on Staten Island, traveling through immense grounds to arrive at a magnificent luxury colonial in the sought-after neighborhood of Todt Hill.

"Your home is beautiful," Billie said, admiring the stunning architectural details of its red bricks, white columns, high arched wooden doorway, and bowed balconies.

"Not my home. Well, not anymore," Quentin informed her, though he had a key to get in. "I moved out on my own the moment I was legal."

This was the second or third time Quentin referred to the strained relationship he had with his father. Billie couldn't imagine being estranged from her own father. They may not always see eye to eye, but never had she wanted to run from him.

They stepped into a grand foyer, larger than Billie's entire apartment, and a man rushed over to greet them.

"Master Harrison, we were not expecting you," the man announced.

"I know this is a surprise visit. Is my mother home?"

"Yes, she is having her afternoon tea on the veranda."

"Thank you, Geoffrey."

Quentin took Billie's hand to lead her through the house to the garden.

Billie and Quentin stepped out onto the porch, and Billie gasped at the breath-taking view of the gardens. An older woman with silver hair cropped neatly to her shoulders sat drinking tea. She turned to look at them. Quentin's mother was the picture of understated sophistication in her crisp white blouse, beige dress pants, and gold jewelry.

"Quentin, darling. You've finally come to visit your mother, you naughty boy. How dare you stay away from me this long?" Then Mrs. Harrison spied Billie standing shyly by his side. "Oh! And who might this be?"

"This is Ms. Billie Dupree, Mother."

Quentin's mother's eyes lit up with surprise. "Dupree, did you say?"

"Yes, Father is looking to forge a merger with Dupree Industries and..."

Billie watched as Quentin's mother stood up and strode over to her. She grabbed Billie by the chin, moving her face left then right. "My God the resemblance is undeniable."

"Thank you?" Billie said not sure what other response to give.

"You should be proud, my dear. Your mother was a striking beauty. What brings you both to my doorstep at this time of day?" She waved for them to have a seat and without being told Geoffrey arrived with more tea and some cakes.

"Tea?" she offered Billie.

"Yes, please," Billie replied.

"Such wonderful manners," Quentin's mother smiled at her. When Geoffrey went to pour the tea from the porcelain teapot Mrs. Harrison smacked his hand and he pulled it away. "I'll pour, Geoffrey. Thank you, that is all."

Geoffrey nodded and left and Mrs. Harrison poured Billie's tea. "Cream? Sugar?" she asked.

"A little bit of milk but no sugar, please," Billie responded.

"Oh, a true tea drinker!" Ms. Harrison exclaimed with excitement. "How delightful!"

Billie wasn't sure what she had done right but obviously, Quentin's mom approved of her choice.