Chapter Ten

"Your mother?"

"Yep!"

Billie didn't ask any further questions because it wouldn't matter what she asked. None of this made sense to her. In fact, very little has made sense to her since she woke up this morning.

"But I have one slight problem. I'd need to pick up my car from the garage because Carlos drove me," Quentin told her.

"How do you feel about public transportation?" Billie asked, grinning.

"What?"

Just then, the server dropped off the check, and Quentin picked it up. Within seconds, he handed it back to her and told her to keep the change.

The server's eyes widened. "Sir, you accidentally gave me a $100 bill," she said, trying to hand it back to him. Quentin looked at the bill in her hand with minor curiosity. 

"You know what you're right. I did. I'm sorry I meant to give you this," he then pulled out his wallet and handed her another $100 for her honesty.

A huge smile broke out on her face. "Are you serious?"

Quentin nodded.

The woman squealed in delight. "Thank you! Thank you so much!" the waitress said before running off to the register. 

Billie stared at Quentin trying to figure this man out and having an exceedingly hard time doing so.

"What?" Quentin asked because of the bemused expression on Billie's face. "Someone told me I should spend the second half of my life giving my wealth away."

This made Billie laugh. "One - you're not that old. You're only two years older than me. Two- I've heard only the good die young so I know you have more time."

"I can be good," Quentin said with a teasing grin. "In fact, I've been told in certain ways, I can be very good."

"Uh-huh," Billie commented as she hiked up her bag on her shoulder and slid out of the booth. "Did you pay them, too?"

"Hey now! All I purchased was a smile," Quentin said as he slid from the booth to join her. "What else do I have to spend my money on?"

Quentin reached out and took the bag from her. He paused grabbing her hand to examine it. Gently he rubbed his thumb over the swelling on her knuckles. "Is this from boxing?"

Billie shrugged not liking the casual way Quentin held her hand or the flutters she felt as he held it, she pulled her hand away. "I was taking my frustrations out on the heavy bag first. It happens."

To change the subject she asked, "How did you get Carlos to help you, by the way?"

"I told him the truth about what happened. He's all for whatever I do so long as it helps you."

Billie smiled. Quentin is either the greatest conman that ever lived or the real deal. Billie just wished she knew which.

"Why is he so loyal to you?" They walked out of the diner together. Quentin put himself on follow not exactly sure where Billie was headed. "He said he owes you."

"Carlos doesn't owe me a damn thing." Billie led Quentin to what she expected was his first-ever bus stop. "He just feels like he's indebted to me. I've told him a million times but he's stubborn and won't listen to me."

"You were serious about the bus?" Quentin asked surprised.

"I don't take my car to the gym. There is no parking around there. So, yes."

Quentin shrugged. It really didn't matter. "Okay, then why does Carlos believe he's indebted to you?"

"You're not going to let this drop are you?" Billie asked.